Three

Skye's POV

'Bzzzz, bzzzz', I can feel my phone vibrating again in my pocket as I finish my last exam for this quarter, for the year. It is probably mom, I think to myself, as I check to make sure I answered all of the questions. She has been texting non-stop the past few weeks in the lead up to her wedding, wanting to run every minor detail past me like it's my wedding or something. Paul had proposed at Thanksgiving and they were getting married at the end of summer. I was so happy for both of them, but the thought of the wedding gave me a sick feeling. Mom had invited Wesley, plus Drew and Keaton, before we had broken up and I just hoped he decided not to come. It would completely spoil my plan to stay away from him this summer, but at least I have 2 months to build up my Wesley defences if he does come. I slip quietly out of the classroom after turning in my exam and check my phone, 3 messages, two from mom and one from Lincoln. I sigh, already regretting asking him for help. I make my way back to my room to finish packing my stuff for the trip home, but once inside I just flop on the bed. I send mom a quick reply telling her I think that changing her colour scheme from yellow to orange now would be too much work then I re-read Linc's text. 'Hey baby. Can't wait for a long romantic summer with you. Love Linc', I know he is just trying to annoy me and it's kind of amusing but he is taking way too much pleasure in doing me a favour.

**********

"Skye" I hear my name being called from behind me, I spin around wondering who it is seeing as how I don't know anyone here at school yet. I spot Lincoln, Lucy's older brother jogging towards me across the quad. I had totally forgotten that he went here too, and I am grateful to see a familiar face, although I am slightly uncomfortable knowing the last time I saw him we made out. 'That was almost a year ago' my inner voice reminds me and I try to push the thought from my mind. As he approaches me I notice some of the girls in the quad watching him, he is athletic and good looking and has the same brown hair and green eyes combo that Lucy has. He stops in front of me and grins before pulling me into a big hug, much to the dismay of the female onlookers. "Hey Linc" I say when he releases me, a little embarrassed by the attention we are getting. "Lucy told me you got in here, that's awesome Skye" he says genuinely, "We can hang out" he adds. I am familiar with Lincoln's idea of hanging out, it basically means 'we can make out' and there's no way that is happening. "Yea, you can show me around" I start, "And I'll introduce you to my boyfriend next time he comes to visit" I finish trying not to be too obvious in pointing out I have a boyfriend but knowing I failed. He rolls his eyes and laughs, "Lucy mentioned you were seeing some kid from back home" he says mockingly. "What's his name? Ummmm, Lesley?" he continues, "Wesley" I snap at him, which makes him chuckle. "Alright, calm down girly" he says jokingly whilst taking a step closer to me. I freeze slightly, not wanting to offend him by stepping backwards but also feeling a bit uneasy with how close he is. "Wesley is a lucky guy" he continues in a much softer and more sincere voice, "But just know you have options". As he finishes his sentence he reaches his hands to brush stray strands of hair from my eyes. I panic, still frozen, knowing if Wesley saw this he would freak out and it'd be like the Ben incident all over again. Before I can think of the best way to react Lincoln's face changes and he back to his normal playful self, he gives me a quick wink, "Just saying" he tells me before excusing himself to go to class.

**********

"Ugh" I throw myself onto my stomach and bury my head in my pillow after remembering my first of many awkward Lincoln encounters this past year. I briefly, if I had handled this first situation differently maybe Lincoln wouldn't have continued his antics and me and Wesley wouldn't have gotten in that huge fight just after Thanksgiving. That was irrelevant now though, but still, Lincoln was probably a poor choice of person to help me with my Wesley issues. Yes Lincoln could be arrogant and he was definately a player, but he has always been sweet to me, although he had never really respected mine and Wesley's relationship, so I knew he'd say yes. 'Plus he is going to be in HB this summer and you got to school together so it's perfectly believable that you are dating" my inner voice tries to convince me. I expected he would try to milk it and use it against me but if it meant Wesley believing I had moved on and that's why we couldn't get back together then I could handle whatever annoying things Linc did. I needed Wesley to move on and focus on what he was made to do, as much as it sucked for me, it was the best thing for everyone. 'What if Wesley has a new girlfriend?' my inner voice pipes up unwelcomed, the idea makes me want to cry, and punch this new girlfriend. I have no way of knowing for sure if he has moved on but the last time I spoke to Taylor, she said Drew made a point of telling her Wesley hadn't hooked up with any girls since Spring Break. My lips form a smile without my consent at the memory of Spring Break and the night after I had seen Wesley on the beach, seen him for the first time since the break up.