Fifteen

Skye’s POV

**********

I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply, this moment literally couldn’t get any better. The sun was shining, the air was warm and I had the best boyfriend in the world. I felt Wesley’s arm tighten around my shoulders, pulling me closer into his side and kissing my forehead. Tomorrow is my 18th birthday and Wesley had driven us down to the San Diego Zoo, which is somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit but just never got around to it. We had spent the day walking around the zoo looking at all the animals, enjoying the sunshine and each other’s company. I opened my eyes and looked up at Wesley, I more than loved him, he was perfect. Wesley caught me staring, “What?” he asked with that big grin of his, the one that still made my heart skip a beat. “I was just thinking how lucky I am” I admitted, causing him to raise his eyebrows, “Well you do have the most amazing boyfriend” he joked. “I really do” I said seriously, wanting him to know how accurate his statement was. He laughed, “I was kidding Skye. I’m the lucky one” he added, and before I could say how I felt his attention was somewhere else. He looked around then grabbed my hand, pulling me as he started walking, “Let’s go find the pandas” he exclaimed and I followed him, giggling.

Once we had seen the pandas, giraffes and about ten other animals Wesley insisted we see, we headed back to the car. It was still fairly sunny despite summer almost being over and I groaned at the idea of the hour and a half drive ahead of us. “You ok? Is your arm sore?” Wesley sounded concerned and I looked down at my cast that covered my left arm, from my left elbow down past half of my left hand. I had fractured it almost two weeks ago and I couldn’t wait to get the cast off, it was a nuisance and made simple tasks difficult. “No, I’m just not looking forward to the drive home” I admitted, and I watched as Wesley started to grin. We reached the car, Wesley opened my door, “What’s with the grin?” I questioned him. “I have a surprise” he explained and gestured for me to get in the car. I shook my head, making it clear I wasn’t getting in until he told me what the surprise was, he rolled his eyes. “We aren’t going home” he finally caved, I shot him a quizzical look, “I got us a hotel room here” he finished.

I thought about what he just said, he was so sweet and was going all out for my birthday. He had essentially given up the last two weeks of his summer vacation to, for lack of a better phrase, take care of me and now he was spoiling me. My mind flashed to the recent times Wesley had showered with me to help me wash my hair, which was near impossible with one arm wrapped in plastic so the cast didn’t get wet, but he hadn’t been complaining. “Is that ok?” Wesley’s soft, cautious voice brought me back to the car park and I kicked myself for not reacting to his surprise straight away. I smiled, “Are you kidding, it’s amazing, you’re amazing” I gushed and threw my arms around his neck. Leaning up to kiss him, feeling him smile into the kiss and his hands slip into the back pockets of my denim shorts. I pulled away before it got too heated, there would be plenty of time for this once we got to the hotel. I slid into his car and clumsily put on my seat belt with my right hand, then realised I didn’t have any stuff to stay over night anywhere. Wesley got into his car, “I don’t have any pj’s” I pointed out to him, which led to him winking at me. “I prefer it that way” he purred, and I punched him awkwardly in the arm with my right hand, “Ha ha, you’re mom packed you a bag, it’s in the back” he admitted. I shook my head, of course she did, I pulled my phone out of my pocket to text her.

I had barely finished sending a few back and forth texts with my mom and we were at the hotel. Wesley pulled into the car park and ran around to open my door, then got our bags from the trunk. We headed inside through the lobby doors, I looked around, it was a really nice hotel, too nice. I started feeling guilty, this couldn’t have been cheap and he had already spent so much money at the zoo. “I’ll check us in” Wesley told me, “This place looks expensive Wesley, let’s just stay somewhere….less expensive” I whispered, glancing around. Wesley scoffed at the idea. “Go sit down” he insisted as he gently pushed me in the direction of the couches in the middle of the fancy lobby. He returned a few minutes later and held up our room key, “Let’s go” he grinned and I followed him to the elevator. Even the elevator was fancy, I looked at myself in one of the floor to ceiling mirrors that made up the walls of the elevator. Denim shorts, white singlet, white Vans, messy blonde ponytail, left arm in a cast, I did not look like I belonged in this hotel. I noticed my nose looked a little red and I moved closer the mirror, “I think I got a little sun burnt” I said.