One

Skye's POV

**********

"Dude, stop checking your phone!!" Drew yells, I can hear him through the wooden door that I was about to open. I remove my hand from the door knob and take a step back, Drew sounds angry so I don't really want to go in right now. I strain to hear what the guys could possibly be fighting about, they are essentially living their dream right now. They did amazingly on X-Factor and they got signed, they should be stoked to be in a recording studio right now, so I am surprised to hear Drew shouting. "Sorry, I just thought she'd be here by now" I hear Wesley defending himself, he doesn't sound happy either. I realise he's talking about me, surely they aren't fighting over something related to me, not again. They continue to argue but I can't hear them clearly anymore, I can only pick up the occasional word amongst the hushed mumblings that are being diluted by the door between me and the studio. It's Keaton's voice that finally comes through loud and clear, "STOP! Drew, you're wasting time always arguing with Wes, the same as he's always wasting time on his phone. Both of you need to cut it out". I am stunned by the use of the word 'always', Wesley had mentioned they had been disagreeing a lot the past few weeks but I had no idea it was about this, about me. I hear garbled apologies, "Wes", Drew's voice is coming from close to the other side of the door, I press myself against the wall of the hallway to the studio, even though I know they can't see me. "Skye is great man", I hold my breath, "But she's a distraction", my stomach drops, "You need to get your head in the game and focus. Now is not the time for girls", I slowly let out the breath I've been holding in the realisation that Drew is right. This is everything they have been working towards and Wesley is still, as ever, trying to be the best boyfriend, which is taking him away from what I know deep down he should be doing. The door in front of me swings open, I blink back my tears and give Drew a big smile not wanting to let on that today is the day I need to break up with Wesley.

**********

I wake with a jolt in my bed, my hand instinctively flies to my chest as if that will soothe my hurting heart. This is the third night this week I've had this awful dream, more like a nightmare actually, except this was real. I look around my room, noticing that Kacie has left for class already, thankful that she didn't see me wake up in a sweat again this week. Kacie has become a good friend over the past year, she has pretty much seen it all when it comes to me and Wesley. I try to shake the memory of that day from my mind and sit up in my bed, I can't believe I am still dreaming about it, it was almost 5 months ago. I suppose it was one of the crappiest days of my life so it will take a bit of getting over. Wesley's pained face flashes in my mind as he asks me what he did wrong. I feel sick to my stomach thinking about it, I jump out of bed determined not to re-run this over in my head again. I drag myself to the communal bathrooms, shower quickly and get dressed. I smirk at myself in the mirror before heading out to class, it didn't take long for me to return to the denim shorts, singlet and Vans combo. The post-Wesley-break-up phase that Taylor had helped me with only lasted a couple of weeks, but Taylor was more than happy to take the tiny denim mini skirts off my hands.

My mind drifts as I study for my Environmental Science exam, it is almost time for summer vacation. I can't wait to head home to Huntington Beach and spend some quality time with my mom. I have taken a few trips home but since Wesley and I broke up I have pretty much avoided it just in case. I really couldn't handle a repeat of Spring Break and that was only a week break. I have no idea how I'll avoid him for just over 2 months, all I can do is hope that him and the guys are on some sort of tour that keeps him far away. I peek at my phone, I am tempted to follow him on Twitter again, just so I can try to keep track of what they are up to but I know that is not the answer. I haven't checked their website, I've deleted all my social networking profiles and I steer clear of Emblem3 news at all costs. It hasn't been easy to try and get over him, I get asked about him almost daily. Most of the girls in my residence hall have seen us together at the start of my freshman year, he helped me move up here and visited at least 3 or 4 times before he started with the X-Factor live shows and a couple of times during. I don't blame everyone for being curious, Emblem3 are blowing up but it makes avoiding him hard so I am just wishing for 2 months of Wesley-free time in HB so my heart can mend fully.

**********

"Skye, take this box and I'll bring the rest" Wesley smiles at me as he unloads another box of my clothes from his car and hands it to me. Between my mom's car and Wesley's car we have managed to get all of my essentials up to the campus in one trip. I look around as I walk the box to my room, I can't believe how lucky I am, getting accepted to such a good school that is so close to home. I place the box on my bare bed and hunt around for the box that I packed my sheets and bed spread in, this will be my home for the next year. Paul breaks me from my thoughts, "Me and your mom are going to take off now Skye, before she starts getting emotional and crying in front of your new classmates", he says with a grin. I laugh at him, I am so happy my mom found him and I suspect they'll be getting engaged soon, which I am thrilled about. I follow Paul back out the car where my mom is handing Wesley the last few things from her car. I give her a hug, "Thanks for helping me today mom. And thanks for not making a scene" I jokingly whisper into her ear. She pulls back and I can see she is a little teary eyed, she doesn't say anything she just hops in the car and waves as Paul pulls away from the curb. I feel strong arms wrap around me, "You ok" and now I feel warm breath on my neck. I spin to look up into Wesley's eyes, I can tell he is sad that I am moving, even though it isn't too far away. I am excited to be starting college but it is hard to leave Wesley after what can only be described as the best summer of my life. "Yea" I say reluctantly knowing that in a few hours Wesley will head home and I'll be here alone, but I don't want to think about that now. "Come help me unpack" I say stepping out of his embrace and taking his hand, leading him back to my room.

Once inside I close the door and Wesley pushes me up against it so my back is pressed into the door and leans down to kiss me suddenly. I am surprised by the kiss but it only takes me a second to get over the shock before I start to kiss him back. His hands are on my back, under my shirt, pulling me into him and I instinctively stand on my tip toes to get closer to him, as I wrap my arms around his neck. His hands moves to the button on my shorts, undoing it quickly before sliding down the zip, as his mouth moves to kiss my neck. I move my hands from his shoulders to the hem of his shirt, yanking it up over his head in an action I have become an expert at over the summer. It doesn't take Wesley long to remove my singlet, he pauses to look at me for a split second after he tosses it onto the floor. "I love you" he says quietly, making my heart skip a beat, something he manages to do all the time. Before I can reply his lips are on mine even more passionately than before, our tongues exploring, our lips moving in sync, our hands roaming.....

**********

"Skye" a hurried whisper pulls me from my day dream, I reach my hand up to touch my lips and sigh. Every time I remember a good Wesley memory, I am momentarily ecstatic but then right afterwards I am depressed. I put on a fake smile as I see Kacie approaching me from across the library. She is grinning like a maniac and I know it is because she just finished her last exam for this quarter and is headed home for summer vacation. I stand up to hug her, "Have an awesome break Kacie" I say as we separate. "Yea you too kiddo" Kacie says with a smirk, she has heard all about Cory and chooses to call me kiddo just to annoy me. "But seriously" she continues, "Try to have fun and not worry about Wally or whatever his name is ok?" she gives me a serious look. I nod, "I just want to soak up some sun and relax, no boys at all" I lie to her. She accepts this and after one last hug she dashes off to start the long drive home to Tucson. I hate lying to her but if she knew what I had planned as a backup, just in case I did bump into Wesley, she would try to tell me what a bad idea it was. I knew pretending to be dating Lincoln, Lucy's brother wasn't a great idea but if I didn't make Wesley believe I had well and truly moved on I was afraid I would cave like I had over Spring Break and that just couldn't happen again.