Chapter 1

It smelled like intoxicated teens and a perfume store. I hated being here. We just get to England, and this has to be the first place we go. I sat down at the bar and instantly got carded.

"I'm not drinking." I bluntly stated to the bar tender.

"Sorry," he replied in a thick English accent "no identification, no sitting at the bar."

I got up and spotted Kristina across the room already making conversation with a tall brunette. Kristina knew how to talk to boys, and they always liked her. I spotted a corner filled with small tables surrounded by oversized chairs. I sat in the chair farthest away from two drunken teenagers giving each other tongue baths.

She giggled as she spotted me and almost ran in my direction. "What are you doing over here?! Come have some fun!" Kristina grabbed my hand and hoisted me out of my comfortable seat and headed us in the direction of a now large group of attractive guys. "This is Kevin, James, Sean, Tom, and this is Andrew." She pointed out each of them as she said their names and made no effort to hide a smirk as she spoke Andrew's name.

"Hi... um... I'm Lexi." I hesitantly said, waving like a child. "I'm from America." I blurted out without thinking.

"I think we can tell that from the way you talk" the tall, buff man who I would now refer to as Tom sarcastically stated. The other guys laughed along with him and I felt the heat in my cheeks as my face turned red.

Kristina giggled before grabbing my hand, "we have to use the restroom, be back in a few." It was clear the men had never heard the term 'restroom' before but soon realized what she meant when we strolled down the hallway with a sign overhead reading "toilets." The hall was dark, and there was small chatter amongst three females near the door of the woman's room. We entered the dingy bathroom and stared at ourselves in the wide mirror above the two rusty sinks. I pretended to fix my hair as Kristina reapplied lipstick, "So I was thinking Kevin for you, Tom is a little older and Sean is too quiet. James is cute too, but I call dibs on Andrew." I simply nodded knowing I would never speak to any of these people again. "I really hope you're having fun. It's hard to have a good time when you are miserable," she said with concern.

"I'm having a great time!" I faked an enthusiastic tone. "I made conversation with the bartender."

She looked at me as if I were joking. When she realized I wasn't she simply looked away laughed, "well I'm glad you are having a good time." She headed to the door expecting me to follow. "Aren't you coming?" she questioned.

"Yeah, I just have to go to the bathroom first. Go ahead, I'll catch up with you in a few," I replied. She walked out the bathroom door and began to strut back down the hall toward the loud music, loud people, and loud alcohol.

I took my time using the bathroom, washing my hands, and adjusting my outfit to show less cleavage. Kristina had set out for me a purple blouse covered in ruffles that dipped into a V shape exposing some of my chest. I really liked this shirt, with jeans, but a black mini skirt and bright neon yellow pumps were set out with it. The shoes wouldn't be so bad if they were 2 inches shorter.

I pushed the heavy block of wood in the threshold with all my strength before realizing it was a 'pull' door. Embarrassed, I stepped out of the ladies room and my eye caught hold of what seemed like the shadow of a small building. My eyes made contact with a creamy brown iris when the light from the bathroom illuminated his face. He was wearing dark jeans, white sneakers, and a leather jacket. His small quiff made him look taller than he already was, I would guess 6 feet and 2 inches tall. His mysterious presence captivated me as I moved out of the bathroom passing him on my back to the loud space of the night club. My mind never quite left him.

"Can I borrow your phone?" Kristina asked. She always left hers at home because she didn't carry a purse and she had left it at over 7 different places.

"Sure." I said as I rummaged in my wristlet for my phone. I knew what she wanted. She was going to acquire all of fellows' numbers and then send them to herself from my phone.

After she got their numbers, she and Andrew walked over to the cozy chairs and I saw her plop in his lap and pull out my phone to take a few selfies. Kevin shifted his stance so that his shoulder was brushing mine. In the 5 inch pumps I was slightly taller than Kevin, probably making him feel short. "Nice shoes," Kevin said. I was right. Why would a guy pay attention to a woman's shoes unless it gave them a height disadvantage.

"Thanks," I smiled at him.

"You're friend is really funny, I like her." He tried to make conversation with me.

"I think so too, she is a great friend." I glanced over my shoulder discovering the chair they previously occupied was now filled with the mysterious guy from the bathroom corridor. Kristina tapped my other shoulder and laughed.

"I'm tired," she stated. "Ready to turn in?"

You have no idea. I thought, but instead I replied with a: "Yeah," then addressing the group of guys "it was nice meeting you."

"You too deary, don't be a stranger now." Tom grinned. I just nodded and proceeded out the door saying good-bye to everyone and waving.

When we arrived back at the apartment I looked at Kristina and held out my hand.

"What?" she was obviously utterly confused.

I laughed, "haha my phone."

"Crap," she cursed. She had left it. At a night club. In a mysterious chair. Occupied by a mysterious male.