nine✨

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I'm stirred from my sleep. My vision is blurry and I'm still in a hazy state.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

What the fucks that noise? What time is it?

I get up to investigate. The banging is coming from the front door. I hesitantly open the door while silently praying to god it's not Reid.

It seems like nowadays, every time something strange happens I fear the worst. I'm constantly worried about the safety of myself and those around me. It's taking its tole on me.

My palms are always sweaty and my heart is always racing. I want to feel normal again. I pull open the door.

Instead of my worse problem standing outside the tiny coffee shop I now call home, Kristen's dad stands before me. I step outside.

"Mr....huh..." I start.

"Do you not even know her last name?" He laughs at me but I can hear the distaste in his voice.

"I don't know who you are and I don't care. But I know who that girl inside is. She's my daughter. You don't have the right to interfere with her life, she's finally doing something productive and I refuse to let you stop that!" He speaks calmly but I know his blood is boiling.

I've never enjoyed being called out but I can respect it when there's a reason. But at this exact moment, I'm being called out for what? Having a friend? Calling someone out for  a negative action is a bold move. It's something I can show reverence to. Calling someone out to make them feel ashamed of something that isn't bad in the first place is abhorrent.

"Excuse me...Sir, but I don't think you have a valid say in the way Kristen lives her life or who she lives it with. And don't look at me like I'm some piece of crap. I may not know your last name but that's irrelevant to the situation. It takes time to figure out a the details of a person. I just haven't figured all of Kristen's out yet" and with that I stop. I'm not here to offend this guy. Just get a point across.

He opens his mouth as though about to scream when the door behind me opens. Zayn and Kristen appear in the doorway. I just our shushed argument in the dead of night wasn't as 'shushed' as we thought.

"Dad? What are you doing here? With Harry? So late?"

Her father's face is covered in humiliation. I almost feel bad, I mean I don't but I should. So I cover his ass.

"He was just making surprise arrangements for us to have dinner. We obviously didn't make the best first impressions of each other so he thought it would be a nice idea to restart."

The look on her fathers face is priceless!

"Really dad?" Kristen smiles.  I see a glimmer of light in her eyes even though it's dark where we stand in the street. That's something I noticed her father doesn't have. His eyes are simply dark. I wonder if her mother's eyes shine like hers?

"Of course Kris." Her father says.

*   *   *

I'm rudely awoken by an apron hitting me in the face.

"Geez what the fuck Kristen!" I rub the sleep out of my eyes. I'm completely and utterly exhausted.

I had such a long night. When Kristen's dad finally left, Zayn and I just crashed on the table in the cafe again. You'd be surprised how comfortable it is.

Now today I have to have that stupid dinner with Kristen and her dad. Fuck couldn't I come up with a better lie.

"You can bring him upstairs." She points to Zayn.

I wake Zayn up and bring him to the apartment and let him crash on the couch.

I go downstairs to set all the tables and then open up the shop for the day. I don't see Kris around though...

It's then that I notice the note by the cash.

"Had to go do some shopping for the dinner tonight. I'll be back soon. Hopefully no beaten bodies will be spread out on my floor when I'm back haha, K."

I scrunched up the note and threw it out just as the customers started to fill the tables. I had a long, tiresome day ahead of me.

*   *   *

Kristen got back with a hundred bags in hand.

"Okay I have a tux for you, I just guessed the size but it should fit. Do you have dress shoes? I bought you a tie too, it matches my dress." She doesn't even stop to breath, she just keeps going on.

"So my dad made reservations at his favourite steak house and it's really fancy so go make sure everything fits and is perfect. Wait no close shop first!" She sounds so flustered.

"Kristen!!" I grab her by the shoulders

"Calm down" I whisper into her ear and press my lips to hers. I keep my lips pressed to hers until I feel the tension leave her body. I pull away and lean my forehead to hers, our noses touching.

"It's just a dinner." my voice comes out deep and raspy.

"If you want me to calm down, you're going to need to do a lot more than just kiss me." She whispers.

I realize we are still in the cafe filled with people. We're probably making a scene but I don't care.

I want everyone to see us like this. I want everyone to see us with her lips on mine. I want everyone to see us.

I want everyone to know she is mine.

But she's not mine. She's my friend. She's my employer. She's my roommate. But she's not mine.

The thought saddens me. And when she pulls away from me me and starts to move her bags, I yearn for her.

No I don't want her to be mine. I need her to be mine.

I need the the girl that is sexy without trying to be mine.

I need the girl with the vanilla and coffee scented hair to be mine.

I need the girl with the wild eyes to be mine. I need the girl with the eyes like Medusa to be mine.

________________________

Author's note

Hey guys, have you heard "Drag Me Down?" I think it's fucking amazing, especially for their first song without Zayn. Let me know what you think of it in the comments!

Can this story get to 300 reads and 40 votes?? I guess we'll see ;)

All the loveeee, Ally