Chapter 4

"Where should I put the cover picture?" I ask Yaz.

"Right here," she says while pointing to a spot in the middle of the almost finished poster.

I grab a glue stick and place the last picture down.

I glance at the clock and see that it's only 2:45 pm.

"Wow, we didn't even take an hour," I announce.

"Exactly, now we can chill." Yaz responds as she lays onto the couch.

"Totally," I agree, laying on the other half of the couch.

"How do you stand summer and holiday break since you live next door to him?" Yaz questions.

I knew immediately she was talking about Lou. I took a deep breath before responding to her.

"It gets sad sometimes actually. I can see him out having fun and inviting friends over. But, I honestly am trying to get over him. It's been like forever and he hasn't even tried to be friends." I admit.

I've liked Lou since middle school. Now that I am 17, it's been about 5 years. This crush has gone on too long and I want to move on but with us living so close I can't seem to get over it.

"Maybe he doesn't know how to tell you?" Yaz pathetically tries.

"After 5 fucking years, I think he can tell me!" I yell, getting frustrated just thinking about him.

Yaz moves closer and starts to rub my back. "It's ok, he's an asshole. I was trying to find the positive but I guess it's been a while." She tells me. "Look, how about we go shopping with Princess and Jessica later if they are done with the project?"

"That sounds cool." I say, nodding in her direction.

She picks up her phone and calls Princess, who was working on the project with Jessica at Princess' house.

A smile forms on Yaz's face, indicating that Princess and Jessica are available for the trip.

Luemas POV.

My head throbs as I sit here listening to Brielle go on and on and on about what colors look nice on her and what would look nice on me.

"So you should totally get a nice blue shirt to bring out the warmth in your skin." She proposes while finishing up our project.

I can't believe she didn't notice that I just sat here and handed her the supplies she needed. I didn't really actually do anything for the actual project.

"YES!!! It's done!!" She squeals, adding to the throbbing in my head.

I look over at the sparkly poster she put together. I nod my approval.

"It's great!" I add, faking cheerfulness.

I glance at the clock at see that it reads 3:02 pm. Finally, I can get her out of my house and go chill.

"Wow. Look at the time, you should be going. I don't want to waste your entire day here." I insist as I escort her to the door.

"It's only 3, I can stay a bit longer." She says.

I can't stand hearing her pointless babble for any longer.

"No, I insist. Go to the mall, get yourself some new colors or something?" I continue trying to convince her to leave.

I hand her the project and everything else she brought over as I walk her on to the porch.

"Well... I guess I can go call up Zendaya and go to the mall with her. You should come too!"

I roll my eyes at her suggestion.

"I can't today, I have to help my mom with something." I lie. 

"I thought your mom and dad were on vacation?" She realizes.

Shit. She saw right through that

"Did I say mom? I meant aunt." I laugh, trying to play it off as a mistake.

Brielle looks at me funny then shrugs and finally leaves.

Thank God!! As I was turning to walk inside I see Elle and her friend Yazmin walking out her house, looking happy and content.

I guess that's what she meant by already having a partner. Should I go say hi? Or just go back in before they notice me?

I decide not to further embarrass myself and just go inside. I jog up to my room and lay on my bed. Thinking of Elle and how I should get her to like me...