Chapter 24: Nickname Master

- Avery's POV -

"What do you want Parker?" I ask trying my best to read his lips while he mouthed the words fastly

"Slower!" I shouter and Parker rolled his eyes before moving his lips slower than before

I think this might be the hardest job I've ever done. Looking at his lips every few minutes tempts me a lot. And I mean a lot.

"So...you want soup?" I ask making sure I read his lips correctly and he nodded

"What kind?" I ask even though I already know the answer. He raises his eyebrows at me in disbelief and that answers my question. Whenever he wanted soup he would always ask for chicken noodle, that's his favorite.

"Alright I'll be back soon" I said and left the bedroom that we shared. Parker got released from the hospital today and is finally home. I'm so happy and grateful that he's back. I would make a thousand chicken noodle soups if I have to, as long as he's here.

I walked downstairs and headed towards the kitchen when suddenly someone ran into me. Or should I say my legs. I looked down to see a little boy, probably 4 years old or so. He was giggling and held onto my legs like it was his life while he looked behind him as if someone was following him.

"Uh....hi there?!" I said looking down at the kid with hazel eyes and dirty blonde hair gaining his attention.

"Oh! Hi! I'm running away from my mommy" he grinned up at me showing off his dimples. Aw! He's so cute.

"And why are you doing that?" I asked smiling at the now blushing child.

"She wanted me to eat brussel sprouts" he said and shuddered to which I laughed

"You don't like them?" I asked and he shook his head rapidly

"Ok...so. Where's your mommy?" I said and he let go of my legs and looked up at me with his thinking face.

"Uhhhhh I don't know. I don't know!" He said coming to realization and his bottom lip started trembling. Oh no.

"I lost my mommy!" He cried and I squatted down to put my hands his shoulders

"Don't cry...we'll find her" I reassure the little boy and he sniffles a few times

"Really?" He asked his voice trembling

"Uh huh" I nodded smiling and he wiped his tears before smiling

"Ok!" He beamed. Wasn't this kid crying a few seconds ago?

"Alright" I said stood back up

"What's your name?" I asked him and he had to think for a second before answering me.

"Michael....but you can call me Mickey" he ordered and I chuckled

"Why Mickey?" I asked and he shrugged

"I like it" he answered and I nodded

"You're not gonna tell me your name?" Mickey asks and I smile

"Oh! It's Avery" I said

"Av-er-Avery?" He says testing it out and I nodded

"I'll call you Avie!" He declares. Hm, that's new.

"Sure. Why not?" I said laughing

"So....how come I've never seen you around before?" I ask. Even though I've been here for a month or so, I was pretty sure I had seen all the children in this pack. They all are required to attend pup training which I volunteered to supervise every now and then.