Chapter 5 - Guys Are Like Lava Lamps, Fun To Look At But Not Very Bright

"So you're Dad promised them he'd be here, and yesterday he just up and left on a business trip without telling them?" Quinn asked as she sat on the blue bleachers with me in an elementary school gym.

After taking the day off of work to come to the game I didn't want to sit by myself, so I invited some friends last minute but the only person who could show up was Quinn. Which is nice, because she's my best friend and we always have fun together, but I'm still mad at my Dad for doing this to the twins.

"Yeah, and when I was younger I hated him for it and I just don't want them to feel the same way about him. I'm still mad at him for missing all of those competitions and things, and I want the twins to be able to look in the stands while competing or on the court and see someone there who's so proud of them." I told her as I watched them warm up on the court. They were running laps, doing dynamic, and shooting hoops. I was surprised how accurate they both were, but proud of them.

"Well you have helped raise them for who knows how long, until they were ten everyday you'd walk to the elementary school to pick them up. If they could choose to have anyone here Hads, I think it'd be you." She said with a smile as she looked at me.

"And that means so much to me, but whenever I looked into the crowds I couldn't see either of my parents smiling because they were proud of me. I want the boys to look into he stands and see the smiles they deserve." I said as I shrugged my shoulders and looked at the smiles they had while they did lay ups.

"But at least they get to see your proud smile. Don't you remember how excited they were everyday after school to see you waiting there for them?" She asked as I thought about it. Eventually my Mom told me I could start coming straight home, but every once in a while I'd show up and surprise them. They would run towards me laughing as they finally reached me and we'd all walk home together.

"You're right, besides I still had fun out there without seeing my parents. I'm sure they'll have a blast." I said with a smile as the warm up buzzer went and the two teams went to there sides and gathered in a small huddle.

*****

We were driving home after they boys' won their first playoff game which put them into the next round. Quinn was sitting in the passenger seat and it was seven-thirty.

"I am really proud of how you guys both played!" I said with a smile as I drove through town towards our neighbourhood.

"Thanks Hadley!" Said Cody with a smile as the two of them, covered in sweat, had huge smiles on their adorable faces.

"Thanks for showing up," said Jacob as he looked at me with his dark brown eyes and a smile on his face.

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world." I told them with a wink as I turned down the street towards our house.

*****

"So have you talked to him yet?" Quinn asked as we sat in my room watching Netflix.

"Yes, I told him yesterday after work." I told her as I looked towards the ground remember what happened. I didn't see him at school today, and I haven't seen him outside since I told him the news. I was expecting him to be surprised, but I wasn't expecting him to just walk away from me when I need him.

"And what happened?" She asked as she paused whatever movie we were watching.

"Well I told him and he walked away." I said as a tear lightly slipped down my cheek. I really wanted him to be here for me, I wanted to be friends again, but I guess he doesn't want any of this, and I completely understand why. He has plans for the future already, he doesn't need a baby and me to mess it all up for him.