Chapter 4 - Guys Are Like Commercials, You Can't Believe a Word They Say

"Okay Hadley, I'll be back in about fifteen to twenty minutes with the results." Doctor Casbury told me with a smile as I handed her the small white cup.

"Alright," I said as I sat in the chair beside my Mom in complete silence, but I was no longer nervous. I was glad my Mom finally knows about that night, and I was honest with her about it.

"Hadley," she began quietly as she looked up at me.

"Yes?" I asked answering as I met her eyes. She had a small smile on her face, but I could tell she was deep in thought about something.

"Do you know who the father is?" She asked as she looked me right in the eyes and I froze. I knew eventually the question would come up, but I still hadn't thought about what I was going to say when I was asked.

"Um," I began as I felt a lump in my throat and I wanted to crawl under the brown desk and hide away so I wouldn't have to answer the question.

"Do I know him?" She asked as she thought more and more about who I would've slept with while I was drunk at a dumb high school party.

"I would rather not discuss it here," I said as I looked away from her and stared at my red sneakers that were completely still as I spoke.

"Well, I'd like to talk about it soon so that we can let him and his family know about the entire situation and have something worked out." She said taking some of the responsibility into her own hands. I knew she would want to help, but I'm not sure how much she'll want to help.

"Okay, I'm sure we can figure something out altogether." I said with a smile as I pictured telling Connor in my mind, and how he would react. He's in high school, I don't think he'll be very excited about the news I have to share with him.

"Honey, if this test is positive, I know you will make a great Mom." She said as she looked at me and squeezed my hand tightly showing me her affection.

"Mom, I'm so glad to hear that. I really appreciate how much you are already supporting me, even though you're shocked about everything." I said with a smile as a tear slipped down her right cheek. She smiled and squeezed my hand even tighter than she had before.

We sat there for a couple more minutes waiting for the doctor to come back with the news. My legs were shaking rapidly as the clock continued to tick, only minutes passed but it seemed like hours were going by as I sat in the same chair. My butt began to hurt as we waited there, and as time passed my heart began to beat faster and faster. I could feel it pounding quickly in my chest as I saw the doorknob turn and Doctor Casbury walked back into the room with an assortment of papers in her hands.

"Alright ladies, I have the test results. Now these are completely accurate and thorough tests that we do, so this is a definite yes or no on if you are pregnant." She said smiling as she walked to her desk and sat down quickly. "Would you like to open the, Hadley?"

"Yes please," I said as she handed the papers to me and I reached for them with shaky hands. I never expected to be sitting in this office during my senior year of high school to find out if I'm pregnant with my ex-bestfriend's baby.

"So the result will be on the third page, in the middle section. It is bolded, and will say either positive or negative," she began with a grin as she took a quick breath and continued to talk. "Now this is something I ask all my patients; what do you want the result to be?"

"Uh, I want the results to be positive." I told her unsure of my answer, but it felt right as soon as the words came out of my dry mouth.

"Wow, I'm impressed. Most girls I get in here that are in their teens and taking this test reply with negative because it will ruin their high school and college years." She said as she winked at me and let go of the papers that were now in my hands. "Now, if the results are positive I will go over different options for you, and you may choose whichever one you would like. Also keep in mind, if you decide to keep the baby and in the middle of the pregnancy you decide you can't do it, you may go into adoption."