21... what you deserve

∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅

∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅

Chapter Twenty- One

Two days after they had blown up the bridge and stopped the attack the Grounders were plotting at dawn, were two days filled with anticipation, and the feeling that things were only going to get worse. It was oddly quiet between them and the Grounders. There were no Grounder sightings, no sound of war drums, nothing. It made Ivy's stomach churn just thinking about the things the Grounders were probably devising for them for destroying the bridge that had withstood almost a hundred years of radioactive warfare and been used as a gateway to their enemies. The Grounders were pretty good at coming up with creative defenses and afflictions.

Ivy was currently on watch duty. Clarke and Bellamy had recruited more people to guard and less to food and water, which was why she was no longer picking whatever berry she stumbled across out in the woods or trying to find new medicinal plants like she used to, which she thought was a bit strange, seeing as after practically the whole camp caught the virus, they should be looking into more cures for whatever sickness comes their way. She was now walking around her sector with a gun in her hands and her eyes scanning the area thoroughly. Ammo was low now after they had used most of the gunpowder for the bomb, but luckily, they had a chemist in the camp, Jasper, who was working to change that.

A hand suddenly placed itself on her shoulder and a figure swooped in, catching Ivy by surprise. She whipped around and pointed her gun at them in a flash, letting out a breath when she realized it was Bellamy. He was lucky she still hesitated before her shots. "Good to see you're taking this seriously and being vigilant." Bellamy remarked, his mouth turned up at the corners.

Ivy rolled her eyes and dropped her gun, pointing it away from Bellamy's head and towards the ground instead. "Of course I take this seriously. I'm not really a fan of being brutally murdered by an army of natives out for blood." Bellamy raised his hands up in surrender, accepting her reply. "Any sight of the Grounders?"

A soft sigh escaping his lips, Bellamy shook his head.  "Nothing. After the bridge, I kinda expected them to come running; spears raised, arrows pointed, and war drums pounding. Didn't think they'd go quiet."

Giving him a small shrug, she replied, "Maybe you should count your blessings, because I think your judgement was a bit impaired by the virus and you had no idea what you were going to do if that bomb didn't go off."

Bellamy chuckled. "You know what they say, plan B only distracts from plan A. I thought it was a pretty good idea at the time. Not a whole lot of room for error."

Ivy faked a nonchalant shrug. "Yeah, maybe just about a thousand ways things could've went wrong, but who's counting?" By the way Bellamy smiled at something she said, it made Ivy feel as though things were normal again. They were joking, laughing together like before and she wasn't sure how she felt about it. There was still that lack of trust she used to have in him and she suddenly felt uncomfortable standing there with him like everything was okay when it wasn't. Changing the subject, she added, "There is, though, the fact that we know that's not going to stop the Grounders. Maybe we should start thinking about that plan B."