11... my responsibility

∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅

Chapter Eleven

Forgiveness is bliss, but forgiving, is hell, especially when you're the one who has to do it.

There's a battle in your mind, both sides wanted for a decision to be made and Ivy couldn't choose; forgive Bellamy for all of his faults or continue to stay mad at him until the Ark came down with 300 people right where they were supposed to be? No culling, no dead bodies, everyone together and alive.

Indecisiveness was always one of Ivy's more negligent traits. Also, one of her most hated ones.

Raven had come up with a plan to fire flares into the sky, using the rocket fuel from the pod, in hopes that maybe the Ark would see them and know that they were alive. Everyone was given a job, which kept them busy and their minds off of the deeper reason as to why they urgently needed to inform the Ark of their survival.

Of course, they all had the overhanging cloud of worry following them as they moved quickly, their muscles straining, foreheads beading with sweat, and mouths quenching for thirst, only strengthening with every step they took. But the discomfort they were feeling was going to worsen if they didn't get done what needed to get done. Hundreds of people were going to die if they didn't light the flares in time, but Ivy had to think optimistically and believe that success was very much possible.

Ivy knew that things weren't going to be that easy; and things wouldn't be the same if the culling went through. The people down on the ground with her, had families on the Ark just like she did. The death of hundreds affected them all. Hope was their only option now.

Once done with setting everything up, night had fallen and they watched the flares fire into the sky at the simple press of a button. They all watched in amazement, bright pink, maybe red, bursts into the sky, like fireworks never before seen for a hundred years until now. There was a beauty in them that Ivy couldn't help but hold the same awe as everyone else did.

There was a pink glow cast over her face, eyes full of hope that that this plan of theirs would work. Walking up beside her, Bellamy studied her, admiring the beauty in her optimism before turning back to watch the flares with her. "You think they can see it from up there?"

Even though the flares reached a high point in which the Ark had to have seen at least a glimpse of the bright magenta shooting up from Earth, Ivy had a gut-feeling that they were still anticipating the deaths of their Sky people. It was a sentiment that Ivy didn't favor at all.

But Ivy couldn't focus on things that she wanted right now. No one could. Everyone was on Earth now. That meant, it wasn't every man for himself, they were a community. A community that looked out for each other, protected each other. At least they were supposed to be.