1... the day the sky fell

P.S. If you're one of those people who skipped the prologue bc you thought, 'F*ck that' I HIGHLY recommend you stop right here, and go back and read it. You won't understand some things if you don't

 You won't understand some things if you don't

Chapter One

Ivy leans on the wall of her prisoner cell, picking at a loose thread on her shirt. There was not that much else to do. Every passing day seemed to drawl on longer than the last. She knew she shouldn't complain, she should've been cherishing every living day she had left, all seven of them, before she was finally taken on her birthday to the airlock and was floated for her crimes. Happy birthday to her.

It was nothing she wasn't already expecting. She'd stolen, kept the existence of her only two friends who happened to be illegal siblings a secret, and assaulted multiple guards. She'd been told that she could be acquitted for her crimes if the Council agreed to it, since her crimes wasn't as serious as other prisoners. But why should she get her hopes up? She would just be another person on the Ark breathing all their oxygen. She'd already sent her applications in and to no avail. If they hadn't notified her by now, they probably weren't going to.

Looking across the room at the bed that now belonged to a girl named Roma, Ivy swallowed thickly at the thought of flotation. Only a few months ago had her former roommate, Vera, been floated for the theft of a blanket. Her grandmother used to get shivers in the chilly nights that would cause her to contract serious colds. They came from a poor family so they couldn't afford to buy anything more than what they absolutely needed. It was an unforgivable crime apparently to keep your grandma warm.

Ivy didn't mind Roma, but she missed Vera. She was really the only friend she had since Octavia. Ivy didn't particularly want to make any friends in prison, but since she and Vera were roommates, they were kind of forced to. Roma had only moved in a few weeks ago, so they weren't exactly besties yet.

"Do you have a hair tie I can use?" Roma asked her, her hands tangled in her hair, trying to put it up in a braid.

Ivy slipped the tie off her wrist and slingshotted it across the room. Roma picked it up off her bed and murmured a 'thanks.' She finished off her braid and secured the tie around her hair. Ivy watched her as she did so and let out a silent sigh. The room was quiet for a while before they heard commotion from outside their cell. They both turned to look at the door, listening to the indecipherable yells and heavy footsteps through the thick walls.

There was a clicking at the door and the heavy metal was swung open, three guards walked in.

"Prisoners, stand up and against the wall." They ordered. Exchanging worried and confused glances, but obeying nonetheless, Ivy and Roma get onto their feet and turn to the wall.