6... an act of valor

∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅

Chapter Six

The cave they'd found shelter in to protect them from the fog was their place of hiding. Wandering further inside where the fog couldn't reach them, they only got so far so that the light from outside only dimly lit the cave. Otherwise, they were left in complete and total darkness. It was just Bellamy, Ivy, and Charlotte. The locations of everyone else that had been with them was unknown. They could only hope that they'd found somewhere to stay safe, too.

Clutching her upper arm at the searing pain shooting up from her hand, Ivy could faintly see the blisters covering her skin where she had touched the fog. It had to have been acid, another anomaly of Earth from all the radiation.

She'd had already set up a make-shift bed on a ledge for Charlotte to sleep in the cave, not knowing how long the fog would last. Glancing up to see a despondent look on Bellamy's face, Ivy knew he probably wanted nothing more than to go back out there to find his friends. The sound of his name being called, echoing in his ears was eating away at him. It appeared that she and Bellamy were in the same boat where they were unable to get a wink of sleep.

"Bellamy, you know there's nothing you could do, right?" Ivy looked at him with gentle eyes, sitting a little ways away from him while he was leaned against the cave wall.

Sighing with his eyes cast down, Bellamy swallowed before looking up at her and nodding his head. "I'm just trying to believe it now. How's your arm?"

"It's fine." She answered, not wanting the subject to change but knowing a distraction was probably what he needed. "It doesn't look all that glamorous but I think I'll survive. I need something to wrap it up in, but-"

"Here, I got it." Taking out some kind of clothe from his pack, Bellamy took Ivy's hand.

He made sure that he was gentle as he wrapped it securely around her hand, tying the fabric tight enough so that it wouldn't come undone, making Ivy wince at the pain. As far as gentle touches go, he was improving. Once he finished, his eyes met hers momentarily. "Thanks." She told him appreciatively.

He just smiled tightly before he turned to Charlotte, hearing her soft snores. "She asleep?"

Taking a deep breath, Ivy nodded her head. "Yeah. I figured since we don't know how long the fog'll last we should just sleep here. That okay?" She raised her brows as she waited for his reply. Bellamy agreed. "I can stand watch if you want to rest. If the fog clears while you're asleep I'll wake the both of you up."

At her offer, Bellamy shook his head. "No, we should all rest. I don't think any Grounders will come out in this weather."

Watching as he moved to clear a space for the two of them, Ivy shrugged off her jacket and rolled it up as something to lay their heads on. Bellamy draped his jacket over Charlotte's small body, before blowing out a breath of air and laying down beside Ivy.