15... day trip

∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅

∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅ ∗ ∅

Chapter Fifteen

After the storm, everything outside of the drop ship was a disaster. About half the people were on clean-up duty, and the other half were on food and water. Winter was coming soon and if they didn't freeze to death first, they would starve or get ambushed by the Grounders. Ivy was almost sure that they would get caught in something along the way, and they needed to prepare for it; that meant stocking up on their food supply and training for any fight that came their way. They had to be ready.

And now, they may actually have a better chance than before at achieving survival now that everyone had the support of their families who were still up on the Ark. Now that their living existence was known to the Ark, their signal for communication had been strengthened by the high technology in space and everyone could now see and converse with their loved ones. Well, most of everyone.

Ivy just wished she had been one of them. For as long as the list had started, the girl had been anticipating for someone to come up to her and tell her that her parents were awaiting her in the tent. But no one came. Deep down, maybe she had expected that; she couldn't blame them if they hated her. They raised her for sixteen years, and all she did was steal from them. They never visited her when she was locked up so why should this be any different? Another piece of Ivy was terrified of the possibility that they were dead. They knew that the culling had happened, but who knew if her parents were one of the flaming hot bodies that came sailing down to earth from space?

It gave Ivy a sickening feeling in her stomach just thinking about it. But she couldn't stop. It was a matter that needed to be addressed but everyone was focused on other things.

Ivy worked intently on the task that she was put to, which was to haul the damaged pieces of rubbish that were lying on the ground amongst the other scattered materials that were thrown carelessly around by the storm. They had made a nice pile where others would sort the usable and unusable pieces to recycle. She hissed at the soreness in her hands from the heavy duties and looked down to see blisters on her hands. The ground has done a number of things on her and blisters were just the tip of the iceberg.

She looked up as her attention was brought to Miller, who came stomping out of the drop ship, his hand massaging his forehead and a bit of a scowl on his face as he made his way to the tent where his family must've been awaiting him. He was on Grounder duty, which made Ivy wonder who was with their hostage while Miller was in the tent.

Deciding to take her first break from the hauling, Ivy jogged over to the drop ship, pushing the parachute curtain out of her way before going over to the ladder and climbing up. She opened the hatch door and peeked inside to see Bellamy sitting in front of the Grounder looking like he was in deep thought.