Chapter 7. My day goes downhill, even more than before

Chapter 7

Lee and I burst into the hospital, I do a quick three sixty around the room until I see the front desk. We take off towards it, the lady at the desk and everyone in the lobby looks up in surprise.

"Hello, we are here to see Tom Black. Can you tell us what room he is in?" I ask the lady.

"Tom Black, Tom Black." she says as she says as she types things on her computer. "Oh, here he is. So you must be Jonah! We didn't expect you to get here so fast." She says.

"Uh, who is we?" I reply nervously.

"Never mind," she says, "right this way, I'm so sorry about your dad. He's still alive, but he's worse."

"Who is we?" I say again.

"He should... um, pass in the next half hour. I'm sorry kid, but here it is. Room 207." She says a little too happily.

"Who is we? What happened? Why is he here? I was told he had an accident on the way home from work." I say, still suspicious of the nurse.

"Here you are bye now!" and with that last word she was gone. The thing was, I don't remember seeing her walk away. It's like she just went poof and was gone. I shook the thought and walked into hospital room 207.

There was my dad in one of those weird hospital gowns covered in the blankets. All that was visible was his head and face. He was hooked up to one of those heart-rate-monitors, and his was beeping very slowly. He lay there like a cold stone, not moving. He was barely breathing, but it seemed as if he was asleep. Not on the verge of death.

I walk over to him and feel his forehead, it burns my hand and I take it away quickly. I look at his face, his graying hair is half over one eye. Just like mine, except my hair wasn't turning gray and you could still partially see his closed his eye. All of the sudden, he started breathing a little harder as if he couldn't get enough air. His eyes shot open and he said, "Jonah."

"What dad?" I reply. But he doesn't answer; the heart-rate machine thing is just going beeeeeeeeeeep. It's a flat line, and always will be from here on out. He was gone. Just like that. That's when two of them appear, the Phobos. One of them is the nurse from the counter.

That's pretty much where we are now. So now that you are all caught up, I'll just continue on from there. Let's see, where was I? Oh yes, they attack.