Chapter 24. This Afternoon

Chapter 24.

This Afternoon

Tonight I slept peacefully, thank God. No voices, no images, well other than my own crazy dreams. I almost didn't want to wake up but I rolled off the bed and slammed my face into the floor with a painful thud. I groaned and rolled onto my back to see bright sunlight and the smiling faces of Lee, Megan, and Anne.

"Who are you and what have you done with the real Lee Strider?" I ask groggily.

"What do you mean? I'm still me as much as they are still them." he says pointing to Anne and Megan.

"The Lee I know would never get up willingly before noon." I say.

He chuckles and says, "It's one o'clock in the afternoon dude! Get up or I'm going to dunk your head in cold water again!"

"One o'clock? Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yeah pretty sure, now get up!" says Megan and Lee pulls me to my feet.

I walk to the bathroom and put my clothes on, a usual plain black T and Jeans with my converse. I brush my teeth and brush my hair out of my eyes, and wet it down so it won't stick up at odd angles. I splashed some cold water on my face and tied my shoe, and walked back out where Lee and Anne were sitting on my bed while Megan was examining my sword.

"Okay so what are we gonna do today?" I ask and clip my sword to my belt.

"I was thinking we go see if Ben is well enough to move then maybe all head out to the lake?" suggested

Megan.

"I like that idea." I say and look towards her. She winks at me and flashes a grin, a secret shared between us.

"Okay then let's go, come on out the door!" says Lee.

We go out onto the street which has people walking up and down it again, dimensions on full display in a joking

manor. Again it amazes me how perfect this city is, everyone is smiling and laughing, at least one of every two people has a weapon strapped to themselves. Okay well maybe not that last part, but this city still strikes me as perfect.

We reach the hospital and Anne goes up to talk to Jason at the front desk while me, Megan, and Lee stand around. I swear that cat sitting on the desk is giving me the evil eye. I hiss at it and it jumps away, thankfully no one seems to have noticed. I chuckle, pfft dumb cats.

Anne walks over and says, "We can go see him, room 12B."

We walk to it and see Ben laying on the bed sharpening his dagger. Anne rushes to him and gives him a kiss and a bear hug, she sputters about how she was worried about him and that stuff and he cuts her off.

"Anne, I'm all right! He says I can leave whenever, I was just waiting for you guys to get here." he says with a universal "just chill" expression on his face.

"But how did you know we would come?" asked Megan.

"Because I know you guys, so what are we going to do?" asked Ben.

"Gonna go to the lake." I say and Ben smiles.

"Awesome, so lets go I guess." says Ben getting up and sheathing his dagger.

At the lake we all take off our shoes and socks and play around with each other. I take off my shirt and feeling the sun warm my skin, I dive into the mildly warm water. I surface and blow a water spout only to have Lee jump in next to me and give me another mouth full of water.

I sputter and laugh enjoying this entirely. I look around, Ben and Anne are at the end of the small dock talking to each other with smiles on their faces. Lee is doggy paddling around the middle of the lake, and Megan is laying at the waterline with her eyes close. I swim over there and sit next to her.