Chapter 6. Me and Lee Split Town, or Start to

Chapter 6

Me and Lee rush in the house, we are going to get everything we need and split town. "Lee! Grab two sleeping bags, and some food we can eat on the go! Put them in my dad's enchanted book bag!" I yell.

"Where is it? Should I grab the obsidian dagger just in case?" he says from the kitchen.

"It's in his bedroom on the desk! Yes grab a regular kitchen knife too." I reply. I look around the bedroom for things I might need. Books, no I hate reading anyway. Blankets, no Lee is getting the sleeping bags. Sword, yes. It's made of pure obsidian just in case of a Phobos attack, and there will be some. My dad gave me that sword when I was 5 he told me to take it with me whenever I left the city. This was actually my first time leaving. He hung it on my wall and said not to touch it unless I needed it.

One time, I got it down and started playing with it. I accidentally put a huge hole in our wall with it. He wasn't all that made, just amazed that I could handle a sword so well. That was fun, but I haven't touched it since.

I take it down from the wall admiring the blade. It is three feet long, with a leather grip that fit my hand perfectly. It has been sitting up there on the wall for several years, but oddly enough there isn't a speck of dust to be seen on the fine blade. "Ouch!" I say quietly. I was feeling the blade and cut myself accidentally. Blood started seeping from the wound slowly. Its bright red, and syrupy.

"Hey Lee, grab a first aid kit and bring it here please!"

"OK!" he yells. Then a couple minutes later he walks in and sees my hand. "Here is the gauze and some of that cream that stings a lot."

"Thanks dude. Ouch! It does sting!" I yell. That's when he sees the sword in my hands.

"Are you sure you want to bring that? I mean, the wall has had enough after last time." He replys, while giggling to himself.

"If we want to survive in No Man's Land, then yes we are bringing it." I say sheathing the sword and strapping it to my waist, "and that is final."

"OK, whatever you say. I'm going to go grab some cheese for the road." He says.

"Dude really? Do we really need the cheese?" I say.

"Yes! I cannot believe you said that, the world would end if we didn't have cheese! Who are you?" he says sounding like he was faking being mad. Which of course he is! He isn't a really good faker.

'OK OK, just go grab your cheese," I reply, "But make it cheddar!" he is kind of right. Cheese is pretty good.

I look at the sword one more time, and then in the mirror. My jet black hair is over my right eye, and my black hooded sweatshirt is hanging open to show my black shirt with the white skull where the left pocket should be. I look tense like, I am ready to pounce on anything that moves.

What is really intriguing is that the hilt of my sword looks similar to the one that the girl outside the school had sticking out of her bag. They have the same pattern etched into the base of the blade. A heart with a snake wrapped around it. That's pretty weird, not just the design and that they matched, but how I could see the design from across the field. Very peculiar.

"Hey, Lee we got everything?" I yell while working my way towards the front door.

"Think so. We have enough cheese to last a lifetime!" he responds

"Dude! You know what I mean. Do we have everything else?" I say.

"Yes! Now we have everything. Sleeping bags, cheese, sword, food, first aid kit, cheese, and the tent. I think we are good to go." he says.

"You said cheese twice." I say with a puzzled look on my face.

"You bet I did!" he yells back then takes off out the door. I am about to bolt, when something makes me stop. The picture on the shelf of me and my dad catches my eye, and I think, "Should I bring this?" Of course I should! He's my dad, and I never plan on coming back. I slip it in the bag and the phone rings.

"Hello?" I ask inquisitively.

"Is this the Black residence?" the mystery person on the other line says. I can tell it's a man. Probably in his early forties.

"Yes, why? What do you want?"

"Then is this a mister Jonah Black?" the man says.

"Yes, and I repeat what do you want?"

"I want you to know that your dad is in the hospital. I am Dr. Myers; he had a little accident on his way home from work. But we don't think he is going to make it. I'm very sorry." At that last word I drop the phone and take off running toward the hospital.

"Lee! Come on, we have to make a pit stop at the hospital on 49th!" I yell. Lee immediately begins to follow knowing something is wrong. I hope I will make it in time.