Chapter 10. No Sign of Life, Every Sign of Nothing

Chapter 10

I can really see where this horrible place gets its name. They call it "No Man's Land" because there is literally no man in this land. Its mile upon mile of, what? Dirt. Dirt, dirt, and more dirt. It's just like "Oooh look at that! Its dirt! Hey daddy can we go see the dirt?" I though Spanish was boring. It's a good thing I still had my iPod and charger in my pocket.

"Oh music, what would I do without you?" I mumble to myself.

"What did you say?" asks Lee.

"Hm? Oh nothing. Just talking to myself again. So where do you think we should go? What should we do? I mean, we're out here now and we have absolutely no plans, and no idea where to go."

"Good point. Well, we could go to Jamesville." said Lee.

"Uh, no it's too close to home. If they tried to search for us, they'd find us quickly and put us in jail forever. Not fun. We could go to Hempston." I reply.

"No, it's too far north. To cold, and I hate the cold." He says.

"Wuss it's just a little snow, eleven months a year."

"Well sorry, not all of us are cold blooded." He says sarcastically.

"I got it, we can go to Boulder. It's safe, hidden, and well protected." I say.

"Boulder? As in Boulder, Colorado? I don't know it's very hard to find. It's also like one thousand miles away from here. I don't know about you but that's a lot of walking. You know I hate walking, and running, and jogging, and pretty much everything that has to do with exercise." He says with mild distaste.

"Hey Lee guess what?" I say sarcastically.

"What?"

"We've been walking through the worst place on earth, for two hours! You can't hate it that much if you haven't complained yet." I reply.

"Oh yeah, I guess we have." He says with disbelief. "Hey what's that?" I follow his line of sight to see what he's talking about.

It appears to be an old barn that was abandoned a long time ago. I can see a little bit of hay sticking out of the top.

"Looks like an old barn. We should check it out it'd be a good place to crash for the night, even if it is a little creepy." I said. The old structure was made out of dry, crumbling wood. It had a bottom floor and a hay loft up top. There is no doubt that it was used for storing equipment or housing cows and other animals.

"Check it out? Are you nuts? This is just like in that horror movie "The Crazies" except they went into the mayors abandoned house. The cop and the girl wait outside and the cop's wife goes in. She walks upstairs and sees a girl standing in the corner but then a boy jumps out and they tape her to a chair and tried to kill her. She starts screaming and the cop comes in and ties up the kids and they run away." He replied.

"Chillax dude, I guarantee there is no one in that barn that has been exposed to biological weaponry. Wow, you watch way too many scary movies."

"I know!" he said cheerily. Then we began walking towards the very creepy yet fun and dark looking barn. With God as my witness please let this not be a mistake.