Chapter 21. Long Time No See

Ch. 21

Long Time No See

The voices are back, same as before. Quiet. I cannot understand what they are saying, honestly I'm

not sure if I really want to. They could be plotting my death for all i know. They are starting to get a

little annoying. Like some dude talking with his mouth full, I can't wait for them to choke just to get

them to shut up. Here come the images again, floating across my conciousness.

It's the picture of me and my dad again. I recognize the small, wooden frame that has faded slightly over the years. It is changing shape again, elongating and turning bronze. Another one is forming beside it. Its that bronze key and dad's journal. Once again I hear that voice, the one that speaks out over all the others.

"Every lock has a key, and within it a secret worth searching for."

Well thank you that totally helps. The picture frame is coming back now.

"You remember what I said about the picture's worth a thousand words? Well, this one has it's secrets.

Come on Jonah, you are smarter than this. Just think. The picture, the key, the journal."

"Is the key supposed to unlock the journal or something? I must have missed pointless riddles 101 before I came here." I say sarcastically.

"Exactly, but you have to find the key. The only other thing I can do to help you is say 'hey! the key is right here!' Just pay attention and think about what I say, okay? I have to go, take care of yourself Jonah!"

"Wait, I still have questions!"

"Bye. Now remember the picture, the key, the journal."

"The picture, the key, the journal." the other voices chanted getting louder and louder. "The picture, the

key, the journal. The picture, the key, the journal. The picture, the key, the journal."

*********************************************************************************

I am jolted into conciousness, I lash out and grab someone's arm before I am even fully concious. I begin to squeeze as hard as I can.

"Stop! Stop, getting sleepy." Someone says and then I hear a thump and someones laughter.

"Wha'? What'd I do?" I ask.

My vision cleers and I see Megan, Ben, and Anne laughing. "Well, you just made Lee pass out by squeezing his arm." says Megan.

"Great, just great. Is it my turn to practice?"

"Um, no. You sort of slept through the whole class." says Anne.

"Okay then, what do we have next?"

"Well normally you and Ben would go to R&R at your houses. But they've schedualed a town meeting at the arena." she says.

"Okay, may I ask why?"

"I don't know, it's last minute so its probably announcing a training exercise involving everyone out in

the meadow again."

"Oh. So where is it?" I ask.

"It's in the arena on the far West edge of town. We should get going if we want to get there early."

"Oh, okay."

We walk through the center of town heading past the big building and through the crowds. So many faces, all smiling and laughing with their friends. People making jokes, pulling pranks, and just smiling.