Prologue-Chapter 4

Prologue

I probably don't have very much time, so I'll tell you all I can. Hi, my name is Jonah Black. The Phobos automatically made me -and anyone around me for that matter- their prime target as soon as my dad died. You know why? I do now. It's because he was the only one in the history of mankind that could over power them.

You see, human kind made a deal with the Phobos that if they didn't go into any cities they could roam freely around everywhere else. That is there territory, and this is considered an act of war. Also considered an act of massively ticking off the government, and terrifying every living thing in the world.

So, yeah the Phobos are bad news. If they look in your eyes they take out your worst fears and project them across your mind. Then they just leave you there to go crazy. You'd be lucky if you died quickly. Some die faster than others, and they are the lucky ones. So if you are ever to encounter one, just hope you have something made of pure obsidian. One touch of it will send a Phobos right to the grave. Honestly I think they'd like it better dead, where there is less sunlight. In the sun they stand out like an ugly scar and you can see them coming a mile away. But unfortunately they also have this little ability to just appear anywhere they want to. I would kill to be able to do that, but when they do it that's just not good. It usually means trouble if you see one at all. You get my point; I'll just tell you how today began.

Chapter 1

I woke up to the ceiling in my bedroom. Everything was as it should be at 5a.m. in the two bedroom apartment. The fan by the window looking out over 31st street was purring gently, and of course my best friend Lee Strider was snoring like a cow on steroids In the bed above me.

You see, Lee's parents died a couple of years ago in a fire. Luckily he was spending the night here, at my house when it happened, so he was the only surviving member of his family. My dad was more than happy to take him in.

So anyway, I forcefully dragged myself out of bed and went through my standard morning routine. I left the room and went to the kitchen cabinet to get my cereal and a bowl. My regular breakfast (I have recently taken a liking to Captain Crunch, but I have completely ignored the commercials). Then I left the kitchen and headed to the bathroom, still a little groggy considering I just woke up 20 minutes ago. I took a shower and brushed my teeth, then went to pack mine and Lee's schoolbags. I still kind of felt sorry for the guy so I let him sleep longer every day. I'm more of a morning person, so I don't mind. After that I had the most dangerous job of my morning... waking up the Lee cow.

Lee tends to scream and judo flip the person nearest to him when he is woken up, sadly that happened to me the first couple of weeks while he was here. So now I have learned my lesson and use a long pole to poke him into consciousness.

Now, I walk back into our bedroom with the 3 foot long pole. I almost tripped over an empty box risking a face-plant onto the bed. Everyone reading this now knows that that would be really bad and I would be catapulted out the window... again. Another reason why I like having a 1st floor apartment. I quickly regain my balance and start to prod him with the pole. He just mumbles and rolls over in bed, thankfully not grabbing the pole. I tap him again and his eyes shoot open, and he screams like a solider yelling his battle cry. I try to pull away but he grabs the pole and pulls on it tremendously hard. I brace my feet but he yanks me off balance and I head-butt the bedpost. It wouldn't have been that bad except Lee rolled off the bed and onto my back. Now Lee isn't all that heavy, but he fell onto my lower spine which I had hurt in gym class yesterday.

"OW!" we both yell simotainiously. Lee who was on top of me recovered first and jumped into a fighting stance, but relaxed a little when he saw me on the floor groaning holding the pole.