Chapter 21

Lindsay's pov

I wish I could see him coming, but I can't. I can't see the wolves, his decisions. Now we have no way of knowing when he's coming, when he will strike. If he figures that I that I can't see past him and his pack of mutts then he will come when we least expect it.

Jake's pov

I will protect her. At all costs. She is my brothers mate which means she is part of my family now. We know he will come for her. We all know it. We just don't want to show it. He lived her, he'll die for her, he won't let anyone hurt her. That means that he will want his family to do the same thing for her. Protect her. Care for her. Love her.

Jordan's pov

I don't understand. I don't understand his infatuation with her. He knows that her and Damon are mates, but he doesn't seem to care. If it comes to him taking her I would stop at nothing to find her. For Damon. Elena is family now and I would stop at nothing to keep her safe. We all would.

Damon's pov

Me and Elena had gone upstairs to be alone. She was sat on one of the chairs in my track suit bottoms and one of my shirts, with her knees tucked up against her chest reading a book. I had a book in my hand aswell but I wasn't really reading it, I was to busy watching Elena read a book about the myths and legends of vampires and lycanthropes. I heard a car pull up outside, that's weird we weren't expecting visitors. The knock on the door was one that I didn't recognise.

"Damon! Elena! You might want to come down here!" Elena looked at me, curiosity written all over her face. She doggy eared the corner of the page so she could come back to it later. I stood up and took her hand in mine. We walked downstairs without a word. We walked into the living room and there was a guy stood with his back to us.

"Mattie" I looked at Elena. Why was her brother here?

Elena's pov

"Mattie" Damon looked at me. I knew what he was thinking because I was thinking the same thing. Why was my brother here?

"Elena" Matt had tears in his eyes. I knew he was holding back tears. I let go of Damon's and walked up to my brother and threw my arms around his neck. His arms wrapped around the middle of my back and he put his head in my shoulder and started crying. I left him there for a while, letting his tears soak into my shirt, well Damon's shirt. When he finally pulled away he looked at me with red, puffy eyes. I grabbed his hand and led him to one of the sofas and sat down, he took a seat next to me.

"Mattie, what's wrong?"

"They're gone Elena"

"Who's gone?" an eerie silence filled the room. "Matt. Who's gone?"

"Mom, dad a...and R...Ruby" my heart was in my throat. Someone had taken my parents and my baby sister. I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. Another eerie silence filled the room. I could feel everyone's eyes on me and Matt. I felt someone sit down next to me. I turned around to see it was Damon. I felt the tears threatening to spill. Damon pulled me into an embrace and I broke down. Not being able to hold back the tears any longer I let them fall. I let them soak into Damon's shirt.

"Elena. Th...there's more" I pulled away from Damon and turned to my brother. He had a piece of paper in his hand. He gave it to me and I unfolded it. A sense of dread filled my stomach. I read it aloud so everyone would know exactly what was going on.

'Hello Elena,

I have your parents and your little sister. Shes a feisty little thing. It's a shame I've got my sights set on you otherwise they would be on her.

Anyway. If you want to see you're family alive again suggest you and Damon (I would say come alone but Damon would only end up coming with you anyway) meet me tomorrow. At school. At the masquerade ball.

See you then my love,

Marcus xoxo'

"Marcus, Marcus took them" my hands started to shake with anger. "Looks like we are going to the masquerade ball tomorrow Damon"

"Yup, Jake, Matt, Luke you should chaperone just incase. Lindsay, Jordan you should come to" they all nodded at Damon's words.

"Matt. You're staying here tonight. I'm not risking anything happening to you. For Elena's sake. You can stay in the guest bedroom" I mouthed 'Thank you' to Jake. He smiled.

Tomorrow everything would change.

Molly's pov

Their house was coing into view. I can't believe what i was going to do but i had no choice. I have to do this. I pulled into their driveway. I took a deep breath and stepped out of my lexus hybrid and locked the doors. I walked up the porch steps and lifted my hand to knock, i paused for a second and then knocked. I had my back to the door when it opened.

"Can i help you?" a female voice said from behind me. i turned to face her. Elena.

"Elena?"

"Oh my God. Molly?" I nodded my head. She stepped out of the door and hugged me, i hugged her back.

"Elena? Who was it?" that must have been Damon. Elena grabbed my hand and led me inside. I shut the door behind me and let Elena lead me to the front room. Everyone's heads turned towards us when we walked into the living room.

"Everyone this is-" Jake cut her off before she could say anything else.

"Molly" I nodded my head slowly.

"How'd you know Jake?" Elena had furrowed brows as she looked at Jake.

"She knew my parents. She was very close to my mother." He was right, i had known his parents and i had a very good reason to be close to his mother. Jake continued. "The only thing i don't know is why you knew them or how?"

"It's time i told you the real reason that i knew your parents and why i was very close to your mother." I looked at Jake and he nodded signalling for me to continue. "I was close to your mother because... she....she was...she was also...my mother"