11. Garigari-kun Popsicles

Sakura POV
(Last Day Before Training Camp)

"Class, today we are doing a group project. There will be three people per group," the teacher instructs after his long lecture.

I scan the classroom. The boys and girls all have their own cliques. I've never liked group projects. In the past, I didn't want to be close to anyone because they would lie, cheat, and use you until you are no longer needed.

My hands start to shake and I take a deep breath to calm myself. This isn't middle school. I've changed. The people I know around me are different from before. I walk towards two girls who are talking to each other.

"Can I-I...." I begin breathing rapidly as I recall my past in middle school

(Flashback ~ Middle School)

I sit by myself in class while students are picking out their groups. I never cared much, so I always sat by myself in the far corner away from everyone.

"Want to be in the same group as us?" A few popular girls ask me.

"Sure," I nod with a fake smile plastered on my face. I didn't care who I'm in a group with, I just need to follow the teacher's instruction.

When we start the project, instead of dividing the work, I would do everything by myself while the girls would gossip in their own little world.

"I need to get some supplies for the project," I excuse myself from the table and quickly leave their conversation.

When I come back, I hear them gossiping about me.

"She's so annoying," one of the girls says.

"I know, right? Like she's such a goody two-shoes. She agrees to everything people say with a smile on her face. I can't understand her," another girl complains.

"How is she friends with someone like Mihane? They are complete opposites," The leader of the group of girls says, and they all giggle.

I listen from outside the classroom. I break down and crouch against the wall. They just want someone to do their work. I hear this every time and overtime, I thought I had gotten used to it. Yet I still can't handle hearing it.

(Back to Reality)

"Are you okay?" one of the girls asks worryingly as they notice how much I was shaking.

I snap back to reality and give them a nervous smile. "I-it's fine. I'm okay," I leave them and go back to my desk.

I put my head down on my desk. I'm so ashamed. I failed getting into a group. I scan the class. It seems like everyone has formed their groups. I'm going to be by myself again.

"Sakura are you in a group yet?" Yamaguchi asks me. Tsukishima and him are sitting in front of me preparing the project.

"No, but it seems like you already have your group." I don't want them to think I'm upset so I force a small smile.

"Well that's the thing...We don't. We still need one more person. Do you want to join our group?" Yamaguchi offers. Tsukishima nods his head and takes off his headphones.

"Really? Thanks," I accept their offer and move my desk to join them. I'm happy that they want me in their group.

"Shortie is happy just for being in our group," Tsukishima snickers. I shoot him a glare.

"Are you sure you want to join our group? I saw you talking to some girls, didn't you want to be in their group?" Yamaguchi asks with concern.

"No, it's okay. I would rather be with the two of you. I want to get to know you guys better too," I say with a forced smile.