Lesson Twenty-Seven: When A New Life Enters The World

REMINDER: PRAY, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!

EID MUBARAK! Have a splendid day. Eid isn't a day to celebrate new clothing and other materialistic things. It's to celebrate the improvement in your character or acts of worship during the month of Ramadan. If you've at least kept one good habit (that you did during Ramadan) after Ramadan, then that's a sign that your fast is accepted. So pay attention to your deeds instead of the 5kg weight gain after eating Eid sweets and snacks, instead of the new sequined clothing your mother ordered from back home or from an expensive boutique, and instead of throwing Shaytaan his Welcome Back Party. 

Shuaib 

"I think we should take a break." I heard Dina saying, taking my hands into her hands. 

"Why?" I asked her, shocked that she would even come up with something like that. 

"You don't love me." She replied. "Neither do I love you." Her hair was blowing in the wind, and I let go of her hand, and got up. 

"Why would you say that?" I asked her. 

"Do you really want me to answer that?" She asked, calmly. 

"It doesn't sound like we're taking a break." I said. "It sounds like we're breaking up." 

"And maybe it's for the best, Shuaib." She replied, as she got up, and began to leave. I ran my fingers through my hair, and began thinking of what to do next. 

"Dina!" I screamed. She didn't turn back. She continued walking, and neither did I run after her. 

Am I done playing around with life? Is this it? 

When I first started dating her, I thought it would only last a couple of days. And I thought to myself 'a couple of days is nothing. I'll get back on track to Islam once I've had my fill.' But the thing is... I haven't had my fill yet... I needed something else to fulfill my desires. I walked back into my home to find my mom painting her nails and talking on the phone. 

"Darling, it's set! I'll bring my son tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes in between them!" She said, enthusiastically. What was she saying? I stared at her until she got off the phone. She started beaming at me with happiness. "I've got the perfect girl for you, Shuaib!" She said, as if she knew my love life ended. 

"Mom, I told you, I'm already seeing someone." I said, upfront. 

"But that girl wasn't even of our culture! It's not proper!" She whined. "Well, anyways, don't tell your father. If he found out about your dating, you'd be thrown out of the house, and so will I. So don't make him angry." She reminded me. I stared at her for a complete second, before sighing, and walking up to my room. Maybe I should meet the girl... It might be fun to play around a little longer. 

I heard someone coughing outside my window. When I looked, I saw an old woman sitting on her porch in front of our house. She wasn't looking so... healthy. She wouldn't stop coughing. I almost got annoyed. 

If the girl from work was here... what would she do? 

Amarah was completely different from every girl I've ever met. She put others needs before hers, and she never whined or complained about anything. If she every needed anything from me, she'd pay me back twice as much. The same case with Janice and Senaya. It usually annoyed me for some reason. Other girls put themselves out their for guys, but she... just made it seem so hard to get to her. 

As beautiful as she was, she seemed untouched, pure, and something I would never dream of getting my hands on. She just wasn't... my type. 

I walked out of my room, and soon out of the house. I noticed the old lady was wearing a hijab around her head, and her eyes were grey and distant. I immediately assumed she was blind. I cleared my voice, and she turned her head in my direction, but not her eyes.