Lesson Twenty-Six: Fights For Jannah

Amarah 

We were about to break out fifth fast when my mother revealed... it was going to be a girl. I was going to have a baby sister in September. Butterflies immediately started forming inside me. I kept telling everyone I met, that it's going to be a girl! A girl! What a miracle! 

"So, you're positive, right? It's going to be a girl?" I asked my mom again, over the phone. 

"Oh dear, honey, I told you it's final. And I've told you a million times already." She said. "Now get back to work." She said, laughing and hanging up. The smile on my face was impossible to wipe away, even while I was working. Janice came in from behind. 

"Why in the world are you grinning like crazy while cleaning?" She asked,  exhausted. 

"I'm having a baby sister!" I said, going crazy. She stared at me again, then blinked. 

"You need to calm your hormones." She said bluntly. I scowled at her. 

"I can't contain it. I'm going to make her go to karate classes, make her memorize the Qur'an, and make her very athletic! She can't be shy whatsoever, and... oh! She has to take after me." 

"It sounds like you're ready to be a mom more than an older sister." She said, laughing. I scowled at her again. 

"I've never had siblings, and I'm a sucker for happy children." I said, laughing.

"What if it isn't a happy child?" She asked, crossing her hands, and giving me a skeptical look. 

"Well, first of all, she will be happy because I was born a happy child regardless of my childhood. And second, I'm going to be there for her every step of the way." I said, smiling. 

"If you ever became a mother, you'd probably stay happy even when your child was crying." She said, smirking. I frowned. Well, I suppose if the cry was adorable.... no, that's terrible. 

"I would never do that!" I protested. Keith came into the room, and stood right next to me. 

"So are we talking about you being a mother?" He asked, grinning. I gave him a half smile. How was I going to respond to him. 

"No." Janice replied. "Would you stop staring at the girl so intensely. You're scaring her." She said, getting really serious. I was still trying to figure out why people hated him so much. But maybe it was 'cause he was a flirt? I moved away.

"I have a break right now, so.... I'll see you guys later." I said, turning to leave. But then I bumped into Shuaib's chest. "Sorry." I murmured, as I left the room, without paying attention. First of all, how on earth did I let a guy get so close to me? And second of all, how on earth could I let myself bump into any guy? I cringed at the thoughts of not being careful in this environment. Sure, I was working here. But I couldn't let my guard down at all. Shuaib and Keith were like two dogs constantly barking at each other. And that was the exact reality of their relationship. It wasn't always me they did that around. It was around every other girl at the workplace. I was honestly getting sick and tired of this. 

During my break, I took off my apron, and left the premise. Shuaib came out after me, and called out to me. 

"Amarah." He said, calmly. I turned to him. 

"Yeah?" I asked. My precious break is being taken away.... 

"Can I talk to you?" He asked, closing the door behind me. When there's a guy and a girl alone, the third one is Shaytaan. Even if it is Ramadan, only the major devils were locked up. Which meant, the unimportant tiny ones were still around. That's right, you stupid shayateen, I called you unimportant! I bit my lip to hide my smile, then cleared my throat.