Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

“Sounds good,” he said, handing it back to Guy.

“What is it?” asked Marian.

Guy chuckled.

“That’s not of your concern Marian,” said Lachlan, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

She wiped it off with the back of her hand.

“So tomorrow the guests will start arriving?” asked Guy, tucking the paper into his jacket.

Lachlan nodded.

“It’s a bit early, but we need to finalise everything as soon as possible.”

‘Finalise what?’ thought Marian worriedly.

“What guests?” asked Marian, annoyed he wasn’t telling her anything.

Lachlan reached under the covers and squeezed her hand.

“In time Marian, all in good time. I will tell you everything that will of benefit to the both of us very soon.”

He way he said ‘us’ made her skin crawl. And she didn’t have time; she needed to know now what was happening. She needed to know what was going on...

“I’ll get Lucas to deliver them then,” smiled Guy, turning to leave.

“Yeah, and tell him once he’s done he’s got the day off. I don’t need the men around until early morning. You can dismiss each of them throughout the day.”

“Are you sure it’s a good idea to have the house unguarded?” asked Guy.

Lachlan scoffed.

“You’d have to be an idiot to come here, I’ll kill anyone who disrupts Marian and I,” he said, stroking Marian’s arm lovingly.

Guy nodded, he knew better than to question Lachlan.

                                                                    ***

Archer had gotten up early and went for an early morning jog to clear his mind in regards to the task ahead. He still questioned whether he’d be able to make it out of there without knocking Lachlan out, or whether he’d even make it out alive. Thoughts raced in his mind about how the day would play out and whether they needed to do anything else before the sun set. The boys had agreed to practice a little more of what they would do once they got to Lachlan’s house, but Archer was still concerned for the safety of his friends.

Finally, after what seemed like hours upon hours of jogging , he had reached his destination. This was a place he used to come to often, before he went to war. A place he took Marian to watch the sunrise and sunset with; now a place to remember the good times. He sat down on top of the hill and touched the lush green grass that surrounded him. He remembered the laughter, the joy, the kisses and memories he had shared with not only his love, but his best friend Marian. The same girl who right now, was with another man who could do anything he wanted to her and Archer had to stay back and let it happen.

“It will not always be like this, I will get Marian out of there. I will destroy everything Lachlan and his organisation stand for – this isn’t over yet,” he breathed quietly.

                                                                    ***

“Don’t ask questions,” said Guy, handing Lucas a stack of envelops. “Just deliver it to the address I gave you and then you’re free until 3 am tomorrow morning.”

Lucas nodded quickly, he need to get out of the house and down to warn Archer.

Just as he was about to leave, he saw Lachlan walking towards him with Marian on his arm.