Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 14

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 14

Marian turned her head to see who it was. She could have sworn she’d heard the voice before but dared not to believe it.

Her eyes widened.

“Lucas?” she whispered.

There he was, her best friend she’d given up for dead.

Marian felt she was about to start crying all over again.

Lucas ran up to her and held her shoulders.

“Marian please don’t cry; I don’t want Lachlan to start asking questions.”

“H-how did you survive?” asked Marian, who was overwhelmed with emotions.

“Look I really don’t have much time before Lachlan gets back but here’s a quick version. I wasn’t really dead, it’s just my pulse was so faint, you could barely feel it and as it was you were in a panic from all the adrenaline that must’ve been running through you. So after you left they found I was still alive and decided I may be of some use to them. Apparently Lachlan had killed one of his men a little while ago and needed someone to take the man’s place. So they said I have a second chance at life or they’d shoot me in the head. I decided I’m more use alive than dead so I accepted,” said Lucas, who was out of breath from talking fast.

“What about my identity though?” asked Marian worriedly.

“I made up some crap about never being able to catch a full view of your face. I told them all I had ever had a close look at was ‘his’ deep blue eyes.”

“So they accepted it?” asked Marian.

“Yes, it’ll be fine. Now I work for him and help out where I can. Honestly Marian I know how much you hate him – I heard about the house fire. But seriously, hang in there. I right here too, so we’re in this together.”

“And I will find a way out,” said Marian firmly.

Lucas sighed at her.

“Just stay alive Marian. I will take care of the rest. As much as I don’t like my job – I think it could be quite useful. Right now I have a job to do.”

Marian looked up at him.

“Doing what?” she asked, narrowing her eyes.

Lachlan was a sick man; she hoped Lucas had not been assigned to do any of his dirty work.

“Just delivering a package for Lachlan. He hasn’t asked me to kill anyone so don’t worry.”

Marian nodded.

Lucas had to play Lachlan’s game just like she did. It wouldn’t be fair, but they had to play by his rules if they had any hope of making it out in one piece.

Just as Lucas turned to leave, Marian cleared her throat.

“Lucas, can you – if you have any time, go tell Archer that I’m okay and that he needs to lay low for a bit until we can figure out a way to take Lachlan’s organisation out,” whispered Marian.

Lucas smiled at her.

“Where does he live?”

“Go to my house. Go out through the back gate and walk pretty much in a straight line through the forest. I’m sure Archer’s left small clues on how to get there. Just keep an eye out for anything that seems unusual. Archer and his friends would get lost without clues.”

They heard voices coming towards the dining room.

“Oh Lucas take this too, so he knows he can trust you,” said Marian, unclasping her necklace and tossing it to Lucas.