Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 39

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 39

The men, almost as if on cue, began to turn on the laptops that were in front of them. Marian could hear the start up tones from under the table and started to feel even more nervous than she had previously.

“Now I’m hoping this won’t take much longer, but I trust you understand why we had to pick somewhere very secure to talk about such matters,” said Lachlan, who then added in, “My house seemed like the best option.”

Questions of what they would discuss and whether she would be able to remember it all raced through her head.

However, she did not have long to think on these questions as she was startled by Lachlan’s voice that filled the room.

“If you’ll click the icon in the top right-hand corner once the laptops have fully loaded, it will take you to all the documents, files and other information I have stored electronically from where I picked up what my father had started. Now, if you go to the one that has location on it, there is a map which tracks the progress of the weapons shipment from where it is now and where it will end up in a few short weeks.”

“Where is it now exactly?” asked Peter curiously.

Marian listened intently as she heard more clicking and footsteps she believed were coming from Lachlan.

“It’s down at the dock known as Port Albely. It isn’t used anymore for much so it was the ideal place to keep a couple of containers filled with weapons for the Taliban to use on our little military friends in Afghanistan,” replied Lachlan darkly.

“What do you need from us?” asked Sean from the other side of the table.

Lachlan laughed.

“You gentlemen have already contributed your fair share, so you’ll get a slice of the prize and glory for supplying the funds for the precious cargo.”

“I heard Peter gets more than us three do though,” growled Rodger from another part of the table.

“Ahh yes, a little more considering he was the man my father worked closely with and knew. It is only fair,” said Lachlan, a dangerous tone creeping into his voice.

“I think we deserve more than we are being given,” piped in Terrence angrily.

The room fell silent for a moment, before a different sound interrupted.

Marian’s eyes widened as she heard the click of the safety guard of a gun. Before she could process what had happened, a gun shot went off and a body dropped to the ground.

She looked down at the body that was only a few meters away from her current position. She could see it was one of the men, probably Terrence, from what he had just said.

Already blood was pouring out of where the bullet had hit. The man’s eyes were blank and vacant and his white shirt was now a deep scarlet colour.

Marian held her hand to her mouth to stop herself from uttering a sound as she heard Lachlan speak again.

“As I was saying, you will all get your fair share. If you have a problem with that I suggest you take it up with me now.”

No one said anything; they were all frozen to where they sat.

“Good,” said Lachlan. “Once Guy and myself have gone over to Afghanistan and made sure the weapons are in capable hands, we will contact each of you and arrange for you to come pick up your share of the cash once we get back. Although, it might be a little bit longer if I stay to watch these weapons in use,” he chuckled.