Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 13

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 13

A week passed, and Marian, along with Archer, the boys and Lucy, went to the private funeral of her father. Marian only wanted a few people at the funeral, so she had picked the closest people to her.

Her father had kept to himself after his wife died, so he had little in the way of real friends.

Marian said a few words as the coffin was being lowered into the ground, and afterwards, laid some yellow roses on top of the grave.

“Yellow to symbolise the joy of life he experience while he was here,” said Lucy as she hugged Marian.

The boys all had their heads bowed in respect of Marian’s father.

                                                                      ***

After the funeral was over, Archer came up to Marian and put his arm around her.

“Are you going to stay on at your father’s place, or are you planning on something different?” he asked quietly.

“I plan to stay at my home for as long as I can. It’s where I grew up, and I have no intention of leaving it. There are so many good memories in that house – I think its best I stay.”

Archer nodded.

“Will you need any help?” he asked.

Marian shook her head.

She needed to sort stuff out for herself, she was no longer a child.

Archer gave her a hug.

“Take care of yourself Marian,” he whispered in her ear.

“You too,” she said.

Just as they were about to let go, Archer placed a necklace in her hand.

“Everything will be alright Marian.”

They let go of each other and went off in different directions – Archer following the boys and Marian going over to Lucy’s car.

“Home?” asked Lucy.

Marian nodded.

She looked down at the necklace.

It was plain sliver chain with a locket dangling off it. It was heart-shaped and had the word ‘Marian’ engraved on the front with simple swirls around the edges of it. She opened the locket and smiled at the inside. It had a picture of her father on the right side, and nothing on the left.

‘A space for another person close to my heart,’ thought Marian as she slipped it on.

The girls got in to the car and Lucy sped off, headed back for Marian’s house.

                                                                    ***

“I’ll be back shortly,” said Lachlan to Guy.

“Where are you going?” asked Guy.

“I’m going to collect what’s rightfully mine,” smiled Lachlan, unlocking the car and getting in.

                                                                    ***

“Now Marian, you sure you don’t need me to do anything for you?” asked Lucy as they got closer to the house.

“I’m fine Lucy, in time things will get better.”

They pulled into Marian’s driveway and both girls got out.