Something Worth Fighting For Chapter 8

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 8

Marian and Lucy were still sitting on the bed, looking at pictures Marian had.

“So that’s Lachlan?” asked Lucy, holding up a picture.

“Yup, I have pretty much a profile on every bad guy there is around here,” replied Marian.

“Hey, I think your phone is ringing,” said Lucy, nodding towards the vibrating phone on the bed.

“Oops, I must’ve forgotten to take it off silent,” said Marian, picking it up.

“Hello?” she said, answering it.

“Hey Marian it’s Archer. I have a favour to ask you if you have time.”

“What?” asked Marian, rolling her eyes.

“We kind of need a car to take the camping equipment to the edge of the forest. Since we can’t take the SUV out of the forest without going past our house – I was hoping you could drive down here and pick up the stuff,” said Archer.

Marian thought for a second. “Yeah, we’ll be down in a second. I’ll take Lucy’s car since she’s here at the moment. Where are we meeting you?”

“Flitchers Road, you won’t be able to miss a bunch of guys with a massive box.”

“Okay, we’ll be there soon,” said Marian, hanging up.

“We’re using my car for something?” asked Lucy.

“Uh yes, Archer and his friends need a ride to the edge of the forest.”

“Why?” asked Lucy.

“It’s a long story but after Lachlan’s men were after them, I told them it was best not to go back to the house. So the best they can do right now is camp in the forest that backs out onto my house.”

“Can’t they go tell the police?”

Marian sighed. “Lucy, you know what the police are like around these parts – they rarely do anything remotely heroic or brave. They’re too worried about their own skin to bother helping others in this town. And since Lachlan’s one of the worst criminal figures to run into, no one is willing to stand up to him.”

“Except you and Archer,” said Lucy.

“And Lucas,” mumbled Marian.

Lucy grabbed Marian by the shoulders and said, “Lucas died protecting you and your secret idenity. He did this so you could help more people. He chose to stand up to Lachlan. By helping people like Archer, as well as doing what you have always done – you are also making a stand against Lachlan. Don’t let Lucas’ efforts be in vain. Now let’s go help Archer.”

Marian nodded. Lucy was right. Lucas would want her to continue what she did – and she would. But for now she had to go help Archer.

Lucy and Marian raced each other down the stairs. “We’re going out for a drive, I’ll see you in an hour or so!” called Marian to her father.

“Okay, be safe,” he said from the study.

Marian slammed the front door shut behind her and ran after Lucy towards her car.

“There is no way I can fit six boys in here,” said Lucy, getting into the driver’s seat.

“Well we’ll just have to make them all fit,” laughed Marian.

“Where are we going?” asked Lucy, driving down the road.

“Flitchers Road,” replied Marian.