35 :: 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘵𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦

hi everyone!!
welcome back to Wasted Heart! I am so so sorry that this update took much longer than expected, but I was abroad so I didn't get to finish my course work and I needed an extension and then I had exams for both college and my own school and then graduations for both, but I started my summer holidays today so we all know that means hopefully more updates!!
happy reading, and don't forget to comment and vote!!

───✰✰✰✰✰───

You can sleep in there as long as that headboard doesn't mark the wall.

───✰✰✰✰✰───

MELISSA TRIED TO hide her laugh as Liz made yet again another joke about Jess. Ever since the pair had joined her for dinner, Liz had taken immense joy in the fact that she could embarrass her son in front of his girlfriend.

Jess had never brought home a girl before, let alone had her meet his mother and Liz was eager to make the most of it.

"So... ," she said, pulling a piece of onion from her pizza. "Those are some dark bruises there, Jess. Get in a fight with a pair of lips or something?"

Both Jess and Melissa automatically choked on their pizza, their faces going deep shades of red. Jess rubbed Melissa's back as she coughed and drank some of her water. She was trying so hard not to laugh because she knew Jess wouldn't be pleased with her finding amusement in his mother's antics, but it was almost impossible.

"Mom, can you like, just stop?" He asked, glaring at her.

"No," she shrugged. "I wish I could, but I really can't. Embarrassing you in front of your girlfriend is part of the mom job."

He groaned, covering his face with his hands and the two girls laughed.

"On the topic of fights, have you gotten in many back in the 'ole Hollow?" Liz looked between the pair as the room seemed to fill with tension. They glanced at the bandaged hand between them.

Jess shook his head and took a sip of water. "No more than usual."

Liz sighed. "Jess, I told you if you're going to stay out there you can't be getting in trouble —,"

"It's only really one guy, and he kinda deserves it —,"

"That doesn't matter! You can't be in another State getting in fights! I'll be worried sick —,"

"You know, I've told you not to worry about me, I'm fine out there —,"

"I only worry because I care about you! I'm sure Melissa worries too when you get into fights, right?"

Melissa's eyes went wide. She was saT right in the middle of somewhere that she really did not want to be. Eventually, she nodded slowly. "Of course, I worry," she said. Jess didn't look too pleased. "But your mom is right, we only worry because we care. But, for the record —," she turned to Liz, "— it only ever is one guy and he really really does deserve it and Jess has never lost so, there's not much to worry about."

Liz nodded softly and smiled as Melissa leaned back into her seat. Jess pulled her closer to him, pressing a kiss to her hair and letting his hand rest on her shoulder.

"So, Melissa," Liz started. "Jess says you have a sister?"

Melissa nodded. "Yeah, I've a twin sister. Her name is Rory. She's older than me by like five minutes, and it's her entire personality at this point."