23 :: 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵

short little filler it's absolutely horrific im so sorry im so sick these last few weeks

───✰✰✰✰✰───

There's our star player!

───✰✰✰✰✰───

"HEY GRANDPA!" MELISSA called, running over to Richard as he made his way over to her. He smiled brightly and embraces her warmly. "You're early, the game doesn't start for another forty minutes."

Richard shrugged and looked happily down at his granddaughter. "Thought I'd come see you before it started, I hope that's not an issue."

Melissa beamed. "That's not a problem at all. I've got to lead the warm ups now in five minutes, but I'll show you where you can sit." She began walking away, Richard following merrily behind her. She jogs over to the bleachers, ascending the few steps to where Jess, Luke and Gracie were sat.

Jess' grin widened when he saw Melissa coming towards them, and he didn't seem to even notice Richard following after her. He watched her as she made her way up the steps. She smiled when she got to him, making eye contact before leaning down and pressing her lips to his in a soft and gentle kiss. His hand moved on instinct to the back of her thigh, holding her in place next to him. Even in the cold of the night, Melissa was wearing shorts and her half-zip which meant that Jess' hand was directly on her skin. And while this sent shivers down Melissa's spine, it twisted vile knots in Richard's stomach.

Melissa pulled away and ruffled Jess' hair, to which he complained with a smile. He would never admit it, but he loved it when she played with his hair.

Melissa turned to her grandpa, and finally Jess caught sight of him. His hand has never dropped so fast from anywhere before in his life. His face paled and his smile drooped as Richard glared at him.

"Grandpa, this is my boyfriend, Jess. Jess this is Richard Gilmore, my grandfather," Melissa introduced them.

Jess stood up swiftly, extending his hand out to Richard. "Hi," he smiled, shaking his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Jess," Richard replied. An awkward silence consumed them. Melissa noticed and cleared her throat.

"And you know Luke and Gracie," Melissa continued.

Richard smiled happily. "Why yes, I do." He shook hands with Luke and greeted him before giving Gracie a hug. They've known each other longer than even Melissa has known Gracie.

"I've got to get back to lead the warm ups, Captain duties and all that. But you can sit here with these guys if you'd like?"

Richard nodded, "I think I'd like that." He gestured between Luke and Jess. "Could I possibly sit between you two gentlemen? I'd love to learn more about the people in my granddaughters life."

Luke immediately nodded and he and Gracie moved up a seat to make room for Richard. He sat between Luke and Jess and smiled at Melissa. "Good luck out there, Mel."

"Thanks, grandpa, I'll see you guys soon!"

───✰✰✰✰✰───

MELISSA WALKED WITH her teammates to the carpark, where their families were awaiting them. Melissa talked about the game with Esme, waving goodbye to her when her young brother came running for her legs.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" Melissa bid her farewell and continued searching for her family in the crowd. She spotted them stood next to a streetlight, her grandfather talking and laughing with Jess, Luke watching them with a smile on his face and Gracie stood scanning the crowd just like Melissa was. What an odd thing to see Jess and her grandfather getting along.

"Hey! There she is!" Luke shouted, spotting her amongst the crowd. "There's our star player!"

Melissa laughed and brushed them off. "You're too kind."

She walked into Jess' arms and he automatically took her kit back from her shoulder and placed it on his own. Richard nodded his head approvingly. Jess pressed a kiss to Melissa's hair and continued to mumble his words of praise. Melissa smiled happily and tucked herself further into Jess' side.

"That was a very good game, Melissa," Richard grinned. He was beaming with pride. The score had been two all for the majority of the game, but in the last forty seconds, Melissa managed to score one extra goal which brought the score to three – two and they won. "Excellent score there at the end."

Melissa smiled. "Thanks grandpa."

"We're all going back to the diner, if you'd like to come Mr Gilmore?" Luke offered.

Richard smiled and agreed gratefully, "I'd love to, thank you. And call me Richard, I insist. Mr Gilmore makes me feel old."

"You guys coming?" Luke asked as he, Richard and a shivering Gracie started on their way to the diner.

"We'll catch up with you in a few," Melissa smiled. Luke nodded and continued, falling into conversation with Richard as Gracie practically sprinted ahead of them. She looked frozen.

Melissa reached up, grabbing Jess by the collar of his shirt. She tugged him down, connecting their lips in a frenzy. Her hands remained on his collar, holding him in place while his hands drifted to her hips, fingertips grazing her ass. Slowly, he backed her up against the streetlight, her back pressed against it as she and Jess continued to make out. His hands moved further down, more of her ass in his palms now. He squeezed gently and Melissa gasped. Jess took this as his chance to slip his tongue into her mouth.

They continued like that, tongues fighting for dominance as he got closer and closer to her till their heaving chests were pressed against one another. Her neck was craning up, head tilted slightly. Their noses bumped every few seconds, and if anything, it made the moment that bit more perfect. Melissa pulled away, chest heaving as she panted for air. Jess follows her lips, yearning for their lips to join once more. Melissa giggled at him and moved her hand from his collar, holding his face. He leant into her touch.

"Not that I'm complaining in any way, but what was that for?" Jess whispered. He was just as out of breath as Melissa was.

"A thank you. My grandpa seemed to really like you from what I saw, and that means more to me than you'll ever know," Melissa whispered back. "My sister and mom don't particularly seem to like you, but my grandpa does, and for that, I say thank you."

"Just wait till he gets to know the real me," Jess whispers back, leaning in for another kiss. This one was slower, more delicate than their last. It was bliss.

The lights around the pitch began to turn off, one by one. "The game is over so the lights go off, don't mind it," Melissa said, pulling Jess back in for another kiss. They continued kissing, Melissa's body trapped between the streetlight and Jess.

The light above them never faltered, however. It continued to beam down on the couple beneath it, sharing a moment. It felt right being stood there with Jess, illuminated by one lone street light.

So goddamn right.

Melissa pulled back. "How would you feel about meeting my grandma at my next game?"

Jess scrunched his face up in fake thought. "I'd say I could manage it, but the question is do I want to go through two heart failures in a week? Tonight was so scary, I made such a fool out of myself that your grandpa literally told me we can call it a 'test drive' for when we officially meet."

Melissa laughed, tugging him back down. "What am I ever going to do with you, Mariano?"