31 :: 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘳𝘬

───✰✰✰✰✰───

!! Warning !!
This chapter contains smoking.
Read at your own risk.

───✰✰✰✰✰───

I need him with me.

───✰✰✰✰✰───

"NO," SHE SAID between sobs. She reached out for him, but he was beyond her grasp. "No, h-he needs to come with us. W-we can't leave him out here a-alone."

"Ma'am, you need to relax —," the paramedics told her. They pushed her back onto the stretcher. She tried to resist, but she was weak for all the crying.

"No! Look, I-I'm fine! My ankle is a little sore, but it's nothing that hasn't happened before —,"

It was such a lie. Every part of her ached. But the pain in her ankle was nothing compared to the stinging pain in her chest and the throbbing pain between her legs.

"Ma'am, we don't know if you're fine. You've just been in an accident —,"

"So has he! He needs to come with us! I refuse to go without him," she protested, arms crossed like a little child. Rory sat to the side, holding her wrist, looking between her sister and Jess. Jess looked so helpless. He looked so out of place, guilt stricken.

The two paramedics exchanged a look. The woman looked like she might give in, tell her that they can make space for him. But the man shook his head in a warning and she sighed and shook her head too.

"I'm sorry, but there's really nothing we can do, you'll see him at the hospital —,"

Melissa's somewhat controlled sobs descended into hysterics as the woman spoke. She threw her head back, gasping for air as she sobbed. She didn't want to not see him till then, she physically couldn't wait that long. She was petrified. Not only was she still in shock from the events that had unfolded in the past two hours, but hospitals terrified the living daylights out of her. She felt like she was on the verge of insanity, and she needed to hold his hand while he told her 'everything will be okay' to keep her from falling apart. But they were being separated.

"Mel, I'll catch up with you there, okay?" Jess said. His voice was hurried. He was scared, hearing her cry like that. He'd never heard something more painful. It broke every part of him. He stood outside the ambulance, watching as the paramedic inside tried desperately to put an oxygen mask on his girlfriend. Melissa, however, kept refusing, thrashing around on the stretcher. "Luke is going to come get me, and then we'll go to the hospital, okay?"

She shook her head wildly, pushing away the oxygen. Her eyes were bloodshot and she couldn't breathe between the sobs. "Please, please, please let him come with us. I need him with me." She sat up slightly and clutched the sleeve of the paramedic next to her. The paramedic took this as her chance to strap the oxygen mask over Melissa's face and immediately Melissa resumed her thrashing, trying to rip it from her face.

The man got bored of her begging and sighed, pushing Jess out of the way as he began shutting the door. Melissa watched in agony, fully depending on the mask covering her mouth and nose to keep her alive. Without it, she was sure she'd be dead. She felt like she was drowning as she watched Jess get pushed to the side. She tried to scream, but again, her voice betrayed her.