19 :: 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

thank you for 6k reads and 200 votes! almost at 7k now this is insanity 🩷

───✰✰✰✰✰───

!! Warning !! 
This chapter contains arguing.
Read at your own risk.

───✰✰✰✰✰───

I'm sorry.

───✰✰✰✰✰───

MELISSA SAT CURLED in the armchair perched in the corner of the living room, almost hidden beneath the stairs but not quite, twirling her hair around one finger while her other hand kept her page opened as she read the pages of Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time. It was one of her favourites, but her most favourite book ever was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. But Jess had her book, and she was too afraid to ask for it back.

She didn't want to fight with him again.

The book was positioned perfectly in her tucked up legs resting gently on the grey throw blanket surrounding her body. The black Nirvana zip up hoodie that she'd stolen from her mother was thrown over the back of the chair, reading for her when she'd decide to retreat back up to her bedroom.

Her chapter ended, and as much as she wanted to keep reading, she needed sleep. It was getting late. She leaned forward and grabbed her book mark from the coffee table and slid it between the pages of her book. She closed the book over and placed it on the coffee table before tossing the blanket from her body and standing up. She shivered as the chilly night air met with the skin on her bare arms. She threw the Nirvana zip up over her shoulder and zipped it up slightly, the zipper resting just below her chest. Bending down, she gathered her mug from the table and began making her way to the kitchen.

But a series of rushed, pounding knocks on the front door stopped her in her tracks.

Who the hell would be knocking at this hour of the night?

Melissa cautiously made her way to the door, stopping momentarily to place the mug down on the table in the Entrance Hall. She struggled to see who it was through the glass in the door.

The knocking started up again, only this time a lot more aggressive and harsh in the was the fist bashed against the door. Melissa was certain that whoever was out there, could see her in here. Her legs moved before she could even think about what she was doing, and within a matter of seconds, the door had been pulled open by her own hand and she was stood face to face with none other than Jess Mariano.

"No," she whispered, staring softly at him. The soft look in her eyes dispersed however and moulded into one of stone coldness. "Go away, Jess."

She began to shut the door, her eyes trained on him as the gap grew smaller and smaller. But his hand caught it and stopped her movements. Jess held the door open between them, peering around it at her with a look of desperation coating his face. It was evident that he regretted what had gone down between them. But just because he regretted it, didn't mean Melissa was going to forgive him.

He had said some truly horrid things.

"Please, Melissa. Just hear me out —," he started begging, his voice desperate with pleas.

"— I think you've said everything you could possibly need to say, Mariano." Her words were like ice to him. She'd used his last name before, but never with poison laced in her tone. He knew she was upset with him, he'd be stupid to think otherwise. But he'd thought that once they had some time apart, he'd be able to fight for her.