Chapter 24

"Ma? Are you okay?" No response. The teenager furrowed his eyebrows, leaning slightly forward to wave his hand in front of his mother's face. "Ma? Hello?"

Emma jumped, her heart skipping a beat as she blinked rapidly, focusing on her son's concerned face. She hadn't even realized that he had settled comfortably next to her on the couch. "Kid, hey," she managed, her voice a tad shaky.

"Seriously?" Henry chuckled softly. "You greeted me ten minutes ago — even gave me a kiss on the forehead."

"Oh," Emma muttered, her confusion evident. "I- I did?"

"What's on your mind?"

She shook her head slightly, her expression clouded. "Nothing. I was just lost in thought for a moment."

"Are you sure?" Henry probed gently. "Or are you worried about Neal? It's gonna be fine, Ma. I mean, you have my Mom and the Evil Queen on your side — they'll figure it out."

"It's not that."

"So, something's bothering you?"

Emma sighed, feeling tears prickling at the corners of her green eyes. She inwardly cursed herself for being so transparent and tried to swallow away the lump forming in her throat.

"Ma? What's going on?" Henry's voice softened further, his eyes filled with concern as he studied her.

"Okay, let me guess," the teenager ventured again when his mother remained silent. "You wish Mom and the Evil Queen were here to comfort you because somehow you feel loved and cared for, for the first time in your life?"

Emma's eyes widened, caught off guard by the accuracy of his words. She opened her mouth to respond but found herself at a loss for words.

"Ha, so I am onto something," Henry grinned gently, his hand reaching out to touch hers. "I'm sorry you never felt like you mattered, Ma. I love you, and that will never change, okay? You matter to me."

"Kid," Emma whispered, tears now freely streaming down her face. She couldn't contain a sob and pulled her son closer, wrapping her arms around him in a tight embrace. The blonde wasn't accustomed to such displays of emotion, but Henry's understanding and empathy melted her defenses. She wasn't much of a hugger, and Henry knew that. In fact, he got more hugs and kisses from his other mother while Emma was more like a high five and fist bump kinda mom. And he loved her for that, too.

"Do you want to talk about it, Ma?" Henry asked softly after a moment, his voice filled with warmth and reassurance.

"I shouldn't burden you," she sighed, releasing her son from the embrace to meet his gaze. "I should be listening to your problems, not the other way around."

"Hey, it's okay," Henry smiled warmly. "Now tell me before I call Archie and tell him that my Mom just kissed my forehead and hugged me within ten minutes. He'll be worried."

Emma couldn't help but chuckle through her tears at Henry's playful threat. With a nod, she ran a hand through her hair, collecting her thoughts. "How did you know?" she asked first.

"I think after all these years, I'm a pro at reading both of my moms," the teenager shrugged, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Well, seems like it," Emma mumbled, leaning back on her couch again.

Golden rays filtered through the sheer curtains, casting a soft, ethereal light that danced across the room and painted intricate patterns on the wooden floor. A few sunbeams stretched lazily across the coffee table, where two half-empty mugs of coffee sat. After that eventful scene at the park with Neal and her parents, the Evil Queen and Regina had escorted Emma home and stayed for a cup of coffee, which neither of them had finished. The blonde's gaze was drawn to these two mugs, and an audible sigh escaped her lips.