Chapter 11

"What the hell is going on?!" Regina hissed, her eyes narrowing as she gestured toward the bathroom door. "What was that?"

"Oh my god, you're on fire, Regina," Emma mumbled, her eyes widening in both surprise and concern.

"Emma, I'm not in the mood for your—"

"No, I mean, you're actually on fire," she clarified, pointing to the small fireball that had formed in the brunette's hands.

Regina took a deep breath, closing her palms to extinguish the flame, her frustration palpable. It became a little easier as she felt the warmth of Emma's hand on her shoulder, a gesture of reassurance amidst the unexpected chaos.

"After I stormed out of your house, she was there," Emma began to explain, her voice hurried yet determined. "And she took me to her house where we talked and ate food, and she was actually really... not evil."

Baffled, Regina just stared at the other woman, blinking a few times, her expression a mix of disbelief and curiosity.

"I know that sounds crazy, but maybe she's not as bad as we thought."

Regina shook her head vehemently. Dark strands of hair fell into her face, and she brushed them behind her ears, though some rebellious strands refused to stay in place. "Did you forget that just a few days ago, she attacked us in my office?!"

"I mean... yes, but think about how often she saved me since then," Emma argued, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. "Maybe she wants to become better, maybe she isn't in love with me like we thought — maybe she just wants to be a good person."

"Oh yeah, and a good person robs a flower shop and places hundreds of roses in one's bedroom?!" Regina retorted, her frustration escalating.

The blonde puckered her lips while scratching the top of her head. "Well," she mumbled, "maybe?"

"She doesn't have good in her. The good was me, okay? And she and I separated into two humans. Are you following me, Emma?"

"Yes," Emma replied with a thoughtful nod.

"Good. So how could there be any good in her when we're two people?" Regina's gaze held a mix of frustration and conviction.

The blonde sighed, crossing her arms in front of her body. She knew that technically Regina was right, but since when were feelings technical?

"Is everything okay in there, Emma?!" the Evil Queen's impatient voice echoed from outside the bathroom.

Regina's eyes widened as she looked at the blonde, who simply shrugged.

"Everything's alright," Emma called back, her tone attempting to reassure, "we'll be right back."

"Oh, leave my other half locked in there, that's fine."

The Mayor narrowed her eyes, feeling her pulse race again. She was about to summon her fireballs when she felt the blonde's hands wrap around hers. Regina's eyes met Emma's, and the green orbs sparkled with a subtle amusement that caught the brunette off guard.

"Don't worry, Regina," Emma smirked, her grip firm yet comforting, "You're still my favorite fairytale character and will always be."

Regina cleared her throat, trying not to show how these words made her feel warm inside. "Well," she said confidently, a faint smile playing on her lips, "of course I am."

When both women emerged from the bathroom, the Evil Queen's eyes instantly found Emma's. If the blonde wouldn't have known better, she might have thought she saw something akin to fear in the other woman's dark eyes. A fear, that perhaps Regina had convinced her to keep her distance. Emma didn't really know why, but she reassured her with a soft and honest smile.