Chapter 21

"I knew it wasn't just a dream," Emma whispered, her voice barely audible, as she slowly and reluctantly pulled away from the embrace. Their faces lingered in proximity—so close that the warmth of each other's breath danced on their lips.

"How...? You were unconscious," the Evil Queen murmured, her sharp gaze roaming over the contours of the other woman's face, attempting to decipher every subtle nuance.

"I can't explain it, but I just knew. Perhaps I sensed your words," she replied, her eyes searching the depths of the Evil Queen's gaze for understanding.

"Yeah... perhaps you did."

With a small, tender smile, the blonde extended her hand, allowing her thumb to graze over the other woman's cheek. The touch revealed a slight dampness from the tears that had traced their paths there, causing a flutter in Emma's stomach.

My heart — That's what she had been called. That simple endearment echoed in her mind.

My heart.

"Emma, I... listen..." the Evil Queen began, her breath betraying a certain vulnerability. Her hands trembled as she spoke. "I'm- I'm not good with feelings," she chuckled nervously, attempting to downplay her emotional turmoil. "But- But maybe, well- Okay, I think you know how I- how I feel about... you. Right?"

The blonde's lips quirked into a subtle smile, her gaze unwavering as it locked onto the brown eyes before her. "You have to be more specific," she whispered, her tone teasing yet serious.

The Evil Queen let out a small groan, her frustration evident. "Really? Fine. I- I hope you know that- that I care about you."

"I care about you, too," Emma replied, her response carrying a warmth that eased the tension in the air.

The brunette's smile persisted, though her anxious emotions lingered. "Truth is, that- that when I asked you to have dinner with me the other day, I- I kind of... hoped this would be a date. A real one."

"And was it?"

The Evil Queen swallowed nervously, attempting to decipher Emma's thoughts. "I... yes?"

"Good," the blonde responded softly. "Because after being called 'my heart' by you, I would've been really disappointed if our dinner hadn't been a date."

The brunette let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. "Emma, I've spent so much of my life shutting people out. Feelings were weaknesses, vulnerabilities I couldn't afford. But with you, it's different. I can't just dismiss it. I don't want to."

The blonde's eyes softened, understanding the weight of the words spoken. "Listen, it's okay not to have all the answers. And it's okay to feel things. It doesn't make you weak."

The Evil Queen met Emma's gaze, gratitude flickering in her eyes. "You make it sound so simple."

"It's not simple," she admitted, her thumb now tracing delicate patterns on the other woman's skin. "But it's worth it."

The brunette's lips curved into a hesitant smile, appreciating the sincerity in her words. "I'm not used to this vulnerability."

"That's because you've built walls around yourself for so long. But maybe it's time to let someone in. Maybe it's time to let yourself be vulnerable with someone who cares about you."

"And what if I mess it up?"

"Then we'll figure it out together," Emma reassured, her fingers entwining with the Evil Queen's.

A genuine warmth spread across the brunette's features, a newfound comfort settling in. "You have a lot of faith in me."

"More than you think," Emma replied, her thumb brushing over the other woman's knuckles.