Chapter 23 The Reluctant Demon

With a bitter laugh, the man said, "Very well, if that's how it is, then come!" He leapt forward, swinging his arm, and threw the inner core into the midst of over a dozen heavenly soldiers.

"Not good, he's going to self-destruct his golden core!" Before the shout could end, a thunderous boom resonated, limbs and torsos flew everywhere, and amongst the dozen heavenly soldiers, seven or eight were severely injured. This self-destruction of the golden core was one of the most ruthless spells, possessing tremendous power. However, regardless of whether one cultivates as an immortal or a demon, if the golden core is destroyed, all cultivation will be lost, rendering one no different from an ordinary person.

In the instant the golden core exploded, the graceful man transformed into a small fox, falling pitifully from the sky. The woman on the ground, named Yuer, seeing her husband self-destruct his golden core, could no longer concern herself with escaping through the earth. She leapt out from the bushes and caught the man in her arms.

"You fool, why haven't you left!" the weak voice of the small fox said.

"If I left, who would hold you? To die together, what harm is there?" The woman's tone was incredibly serene, as if she was sharing the world's most intimate sweet nothings with the man, "Our child, if he knew, he wouldn't blame us, right."

The small fox weakly nodded: "Yes, he wouldn't... he wouldn't."

The heavenly soldiers, already fuming with rage, although called heavenly soldiers, had little experience in battle. Unlike these two fox demons who lived their days in constant unease, striking ruthlessly without leaving any way out, they thought they held the upper hand and were caught off guard by the surprise attack of the golden core.

"Damn it, I'm so angry." The leading heavenly soldier, slightly more skilled and unharmed, was frustrated as his subordinates were injured and a significant amount of elixirs would be needed for their treatment. What infuriated him most was the audacity of these two fox demons, tarnishing his dignity.

As he revealed a talisman in his hand, preparing to unleash a fatal strike, a voice like a great bell boomed, "Who is causing trouble here, disturbing your grandpa's peaceful dream!"

Despite hearing someone speaking, the heavenly soldier did not cease his spellcasting. The talisman flashed with a purple light and then turned to ashes. Immediately after, a thick purple lightning bolt descended from the sky, silent yet incredibly fast, striking directly where the two fox demons lay. Enraged to the extreme, the heavenly soldier had used the "Mystic Thunder Talisman" given by a celestial general, which was among the strongest in the Five Elements talismans. Although the talisman he used was not of high grade, it was overkill against these two fox demons.

Knowing their fate was sealed, the foxes closed their eyes, their faces serene, not as if they were facing death, but as if they were basking in the fragrance of spring flowers. The heavenly soldier thought, no matter who you are, I'll exterminate these two demons first.

Then, with a "hmph" filled with a trace of anger, a massive figure appeared before the group of heavenly soldiers, shielding the two fox demons beneath him.

In a split second, the purple lightning struck this giant figure with a soft "puff". The figure raised his head and chuckled, "What's this? Quite powerful."

Upon closer inspection, the figure stood four zhang tall, with a bull's head and human body, his white jade horns shining like two curved sabres. Wearing a tattered Daoist robe, the purple lightning left not a single mark on him.

The heavenly soldiers were terrified. Still, they tried to maintain their composure, "Who are you to obstruct the heavenly court's business!"

The bull-headed man asked, "What's the heavenly court?"