Chapter 12 Master Bodhi

The stone monkey approached with a sense of delight akin to spotting a movie blooper, bowing and saying, "Old immortal, your disciple bows to you."

The woodcutter, calm and unhurried, dropped his axe and leisurely descended from the withered tree, turning to return the gesture, "You've mistaken, mistaken. How could I dare accept the title of 'immortal'?"

"How can you speak the words of immortals if you're not one?" the stone monkey recited his lines meticulously, thinking to himself not to improvise at the last moment, or he would be at a loss for actions.

The woodcutter chuckled, "What immortal words?"

The stone monkey replied, "The song you sang is extraordinary, not of a mortal's insight."

Laughing, the woodcutter confessed, "Honestly, the song was taught by an immortal. I'm merely capable of singing a few lines."

The stone monkey said, "Since it's taught by an immortal, you must know where this immortal resides. Could you tell me so I can visit? It would bring you great fortune out of thin air."

The woodcutter subtly revealed a smile and happily said, "That mountain is called the Mountain of Spirits and Inches. In the mountain, there is a cave named the Cave of the Slanting Moon and Three Stars. The master inside is called Patriarch Subhuti. If you follow the stream upwards and head south for seven or eight miles, you will find his abode."

The stone monkey was delighted inside, finding it just like the descriptions in the books. He said, "Elder brother, why don't you come with me? If I gain any benefit, I will certainly not forget the kindness of your guidance."

The woodcutter hurriedly waved his hands in refusal, saying, "You really don't understand the situation. If I go with you, wouldn't that ruin my business? I need to chop wood. You go on your own, go on your own."

However, the stone monkey was already convinced that this woodcutter was an immortal in disguise and started to play along, "How could chopping wood be better than being an immortal? Let's go together. From now on, we will be fellow disciples. What a great fate that would be."

The woodcutter gave a bitter smile, repeatedly declining, "Everyone has their own aspirations. It's not right to force others."

The stone monkey, suppressing his laughter, bowed and said, "If that's the case, then I will go alone."

At this moment, it was noon. The stone monkey bid farewell to the woodcutter and followed the stream towards the sun. Despite being in between tall mountains and ridges, he was actually in a valley. After walking for a while, he was amazed to find that he had reached the foot of the mountains without realizing it. Upon reaching the peak, he indeed saw a cave dwelling. On a vast platform, ancient pines and cypresses stood tall and strong, their branches and leaves like flying dragons. A stone bridge spanned a deep chasm, with exotic flowers adorning its sides, and in the forest, mysterious monkeys and white deer hid deep within.

Crossing the bridge, the stone monkey saw a stone tablet at the cliff's edge, three meters high and eight feet wide, with ten large characters inscribed on it: "Mountain of Spirits and Inches, Cave of the Slanting Moon and Three Stars."

Seeing the cave door closed, the stone monkey knocked. Soon, the door opened, and a celestial child came out, shouting, "Who disturbs this place?" The stone monkey replied, "Celestial child, I have come to seek the way of the immortals and mean no disturbance." The celestial child laughed, "My master said someone seeking the Dao would come. It must be you, right?" The stone monkey said, "Indeed, it is me." At this moment, his heart was filled with excitement. After searching for over a year and enduring many hardships, he had finally arrived. Thinking of the divine powers he was about to learn, his heart raced with anticipation.