Chapter 21

Redpaw gazed around at the camp, cats were cleaning wounds and helping other's wounds. Redpaw looked at Squirrelpaw, who was seemingly arguing with a Riverclan warrior, what about, Redpaw had no idea.

Redpaw looked around and spotted Eveningpaw and Squeakpaw. Eveningpaw was fussing over a wound Squeakpaw had gotten, while Squeakpaw was telling her it was fine while simultaneously fussing over a wound Eveningpaw had gotten.

Redpaw saw Rabbittail helping a Riverclan warrior who got a thorn in her paw during the fight.

Redpaw turned around when he heard Wetfoot approaching "Redpaw, where are the kits?" Wetfoot asked, looking at Redpaw worriedly.

"They're fine, I left them with a friend, Slatepaw, the medicine cat apprentice," Redpaw meowed. "I can go get them now."

"Yes, that would be good," Wetfoot nodded, turning back to the other cats.

Redpaw walked out of camp, trotting through the territory until he reached the spot he left Slatepaw and the kits. He pushed through the grass.

"Hey, Slatepaw, the battle's over," Redpaw meowed.

"Who won?" Slatepaw asked, ears lowering.

"Well, Riverclan turned against Shellstar and he ran away with Riverfeather, Clawtrail, and one cat I don't know," Redpaw meowed.

Slatepaw perked up. "Really?" He meowed.

"Yup, so that means you're the new medicine cat," Redpaw meowed. Slatepaw seemed to shrink down, Redpaw noticed and changed the subject. "Come on, let's get back to camp, I'm sure everyone's worried."

Slatepaw nodded and they both picked up one kit and walked back to camp.

They entered the camp and everyone turned to them. Every Thunderclan cat perked up at the sight of the kits.

Slatepaw and Redpaw dropped the kits in the middle of the camp and a few Thunderclan cats surrounded them.

"Are they okay?" Wetfoot asked, walking over to Slatepaw.

"Yes, just a few small wounds but they'll heal quickly." Slatepaw meowed.

"Alright," Wetfoot meowed and went back to the kits.

Meanwhile, Squirrelpaw, Squeakpaw, and Eveningpaw walked over to Redpaw and Slatepaw.

"Are you okay?" Squirrelpaw asked Redpaw.

"Yeah, are you?" Redpaw meowed.

"Yup!" Squirrelpaw asked. "Who's this?" She turned to Slatepaw.

"This is Slatepaw, the new medicine cat, now that Riverfeather is gone," Redpaw meowed.

"Oh, yeah, that's right, Slatepaw's the medicine cat now!" Squeakpaw meowed, perking up.

"R- right," Slatepaw meowed, looking down.

"Aren't you excited? I'd think being the clan's medicine cat would be great! Everyone depends on you, and you can talk to dead cats!" Squirrelpaw meowed.

"W- well, I don't think I'd be a very good medicine cat, I don't think I know everything, and I don't like the idea that a cat's life would be in my paws," Slatepaw meowed.

"Don't say that! You'll be great!" Redpaw meowed, putting his tail on Slatepaw shoulder.

"Yeah, you'll be amazing!" Squeakpaw meowed.

"If anyone's worthy to be medicine cat, it's you. We've known each other for moons, and you'll be great, you mouse-brain! And if you keep doubting yourself, I'll claw your eyes out!" Eveningpaw hissed, being threateningly supportive.

"T- thanks," Slatepaw meowed, turning a shade of red in embarrassment.

"They're right," Nightspeck walked over to the five of them. "You'll be a great medicine cat."

Slatepaw smiled awkwardly.

Nightspeck walked away and jumped up onto the leader's rock, her voice rising up above the chatter of the clan.

"Cats of Riverclan, as you know Shellstar is no longer our leader, which means I must take over as leader of Riverclan. I will go to the Moonstone in a few days to get my nine lives. Riverfeather has also left along with Shellstar, meaning Slatepaw is the new medicine cat. Back to Shellstar, I will not be like him, I will not have an evil clan, we will go back to our old Riverclan, our true Riverclan, before Shellstar ruined it," Nightspeck meowed loudly.

Every Riverclan cat, and a few Thunderclan, cheered happily.

"And, if every cat wishes to remain loyal to Shellstar, then you can leave right along with him." Nightspeck finished.

Everyone turned with shocked murmurs as a young black tom with amber eyes rose to his feet, bristling with anger.