Chapter 24

Redpaw walked back to camp with the rest of the clan. The sun was setting, and it would soon disappear completely from the sky.

Wetfoot walked over to where Goldenstar was sitting and began explaining all the events that happened.

Redpaw saw Tigertail rush over at the sight of the kits.

Frostsnow and Tigerkit's bodies were still in the centre of camp, where tonight the clan would grieve, and they would be buried in the morning.

Redpaw sat down next to Squirrelpaw.

"This was an eventful day," Squirrelpaw meowed, curling her tail neatly over her paws.

"Yeah," Redpaw meowed. "It went better than I expected, we got the kits back, made some friends, and helped Riverclan from their evil leader."

"Yeah! We're amazing!" Squirrelpaw meowed.

Redpaw chuckled. "Well, it wasn't just us, it was the rest of the cats, too," He meowed.

"Yeah, but, you found the kits and helped the kits be safe, and you got us help in the battle, and you took one of Shellstar's lives," Squirrelpaw meowed. "And I'm your best friend, so I get credit, too!"

"Well, I guess, but I don't want to take too much credit," Redpaw meowed.

"Ok, but you're still getting credit," Squirrelpaw meowed.

"Ok," Redpaw chuckled.

Redpaw looked up as Mousepaw and Goldenpaw walked over.

"Hey, Squirrelpaw!" Mousepaw meowed, jumping over.

"Hey, Mousepaw!" Squirrelpaw meowed, perking up.

Goldenpaw didn't speak, she just walked over and sat beside Redpaw.

"Oh, hey, Goldenpaw," Redpaw meowed, looking over at her as she curled her tail over her paws.

"Hey," She meowed, looking over.

Mousepaw was jumping around Squirrelpaw. "Oh my Starclan, Squirrelpaw! You were so amazing in the fight! The best fighter! The best!" he meowed.

Squirrelpaw laughed at him. "You don't know how good of a fighter I was, you weren't there!" She snorted.

"Oh. Yeah, that's right. But I just know you were the best!" Mousepaw meowed, lifting his chin defiantly.

"Ok, if you say so!" Squirrelpaw chuckled.

"Well, I wasn't there, but I heard Redpaw was the one who found the kits and took one of Shellstar's lives. While I can't say I like the killing part, but-" Goldenstar started but Redpaw interrupted her.

"I didn't mean to! It was just in the heat of the moment, he was there and I was in a good position, so I pounced, and we tumbled a bit and there was a lot of adrenaline-" Redpaw rambled, but Goldenpaw shushed him.

"I know, you didn't mean to, I couldn't imagine you of all cats purposefully killing a cat, it's fine, I don't think you'll get in trouble for it. As I was saying, Redpaw did all that stuff, and what he did was very brave, and even though he's a Kittypet, I have to say he's a pretty good warrior," Goldenpaw meowed.

"Wait, really?" Redpaw meowed, blinking in surprise.

"Yes, you might not be as good a warrior as everyone else, with you being a Kittypet and all, but just maybe you can be kind of good warrior," Goldenpaw meowed.

Redpaw stayed silent for a moment, blinking.

"Well, anyway, I'm tired so I'll see you later," Goldenpaw meowed, standing up and stretching.

Goldenpaw walked away, leaving only Redpaw, Squirrelpaw, and Mousepaw.

"So, how was the fight?" Mousepaw asked, looking over at the two.

"Well, me and Redpaw were the best in the whole thing," Squirrelpaw meowed.

"Squirrelpaw! No we weren't, we were just like everyone else," Redpaw meowed.

"No! You found the kits, got them safe, got us friends, and took one of Shellstar's lives!" Squirrelpaw meowed. "How many other cats can say they did that? None. That's what I thought."

"Got you friends?" Mousepaw asked, tilting his head.

"Yeah! He got the kits out of camp, and got us some allies! Three Riverclan apprentices. Slatepaw is the medicine cat apprentice, although now he's just the medicine cat because Riverfeather ran away with Shellstar. Squeakpaw, she's really sweet! And Eveningpaw! Eveningpaw is really scary but really sweet with Squeakpaw," Squirrelpaw meowed.

"Oh, cool, they sound nice!" Mousepaw meowed.

"Yeah, they are nice," redpaw meowed.

"Well, I have to go on the sunset patrol, see you later!" Mousepaw meowed, standing up.

"Ok! Bye!" Squirrelpaw meowed.

"Well, I'm tired," Redpaw meowed.

"I'm not, but I'm going to sleep anyway, because I'm bored," Squirrelpaw meowed, Redpaw chuckled.

"Ok," The two stood up and walked into the apprentices' den, laying down in their nests.

"When do you think we'll become warriors?" Squirrelpaw asked, settling into her nest.

"Hm, I don't know, I think soon," Redpaw meowed.

"I hope so," Squirrelpaw meowed. Redpaw sighed and closed his eyes.

He let the darkness of sleep overwhelm his mind.