Chapter 17

Redpaw searched for a while more, sniffing, dodging battling cats, running around. He jumped out of the way of two cats and looked around.

Redpaw sniffed the ground, then he perked up when he picked up the scent of kits.

Redpaw followed the scent as best he could, almost losing it when some cats rolled in front of him, clawing each other.

Redpaw managed to follow it to the edge of camp, where hidden in the reeds, two little kits were huddled together, bristling and shaking. They has a few small wounds, Speckkit has a cut on his shoulder and above his eye, and Flipkit had a nick in her ear and a scratch in her cheek.

When Redpaw pushed through the reeds, the two kits heads snapped toward him. Speckkit hissed, bristling more. Flipkit shrunk behind her brother, before her eyes lit up in recognition.

"Speckkit, it's ok! It's Redpaw! He's going to save us!" Flipkit meowed. Speckkit blinked as he finally recognised Redpaw.

"Redpaw!" Speckkit exclaimed.

"Yes, I'm going to save you, but it's very dangerous in the camp right now, a lot of cats fighting, so I'm going to pick you up and we'll quickly run out of camp, alright?" Redpaw explained.

"O- ok," Flipkit meowed, nodding.

"Do you have to pick us up? We're very fast runners," Speckkit meowed, standing up on shaky legs.

"It doesn't matter how fast you are, it's too dangerous," Redpaw meowed.

"Ok, I guess," Speckkit meowed, dropping his head in defeat.

Redpaw gently picked both the kits up by the scruff and turned around to the battling cats.

Redpaw braced his legs and started sprinting through the crowd.

Redpaw's eyes widened as he bumped into a cat, turning his head at the last second to avoid the kits slamming into the cat.

Redpaw bristled, unsheathing his claws to defend the kits if needed, he relaxed when he saw Wetfoot.

"Go, quickly get the kits out," Wetfoot meowed, nodding toward the camp entrance.

Redpaw quickly nodded, tightening his grip on the kits a bit and ran. His paws thudded down on the ground as he ran as fast as he could.

Redpaw burst out of the camp entrance, sprinted away quickly with the kits.

He ran and ran until he stumbled back after he ran into fur.

He dropped the kits gently and stood over them, bristling as he looked at the cats in front of him.

There were three Riverclan apprentices, all older than him. Two were the same size as him, only a bit taller, but the third one was one the size of a young warrior.

The tall one was the one he bumped into, who looked down at him with a confused look, before she bristled. She was a white she-cat with a gray cape pattern and blue eyes.

The other smaller one was a white she-cat with yellow eyes, and the third one he couldn't see.

He bristled and hissed at the taller she-cat, who hissed back at him.