Chapter 2

(A/N: Squirrelpaw took so long to draw, it took forever to get the fur right😭)

"H- hello? Who are you? I don't remember you living here," Milo meowed, staring wide-eyed at the dark ginger she-cat.

"I'm Squirrelpaw, I'm a Thunderclan apprentice," The ginger she-cat meowed.

"Thunderclan? What's Thunderclan?" Milo asked, tilting his head. Squirrelpaw blinked at him.

"You know, the four clans in the forest? Don't you Kittypets know anything?" Squirrelpaw meowed.

"Well, yeah, but I guess I just never wondered what was out in the forest," Milo meowed, shuffling his paws.

"Well, there are four clans out here. Thunderclan in the forest, that's my clan. Riverclan by the river. Shadowclan in the marshes. And Windclan on the moor," Squirrelpaw explained.

"And they all live out in the wild? Wow, I never thought a cat could live anywhere other than with Twolegs," Milo meowed.

"Clan cats would never live with Twolegs!" Squirrelpaw hissed.

"Woah," Milo looked back at his burning house. There was no way his Twolegs survived the flickering, Orange-red wall of heat, if they did they'd be out here by now. "Do you know what that is?" He finally asked, not taking his gaze off the house.

"That? It's a fire, don't you know that?" Squirrelpaw meowed.

"A fire? I guess I've heard about something like that before, but I never thought it looked like that," Milo meowed.

"What's your name?" Squirrelpaw asked.

"Milo," Milo replied.

The big red Twoleg monsters with the sirens had just arrived. They'd put out the fire, but the house was destroyed, he knew it.

"Eep! We'd better get away before the Twolegs see us," Squirrelpaw exclaimed, ushering him toward the forest.

"But-" Milo tried to say but he was already shoved into the forest. He tumbled on the grass before standing up.

Squirrelpaw walked over to sit beside him, settling her fluffy tail over her paws. She flicked her ear. "So you really live with Twolegs? In those nests? With no freedom?" She meowed.

"We have freedom! We can leave the house whenever we want, the Twolegs give us small doors in their larger doors that we can use to go in and out," Milo meowed.

"So why don't you run away? And live in the wild like a real cat?" Squirrelpaw asked.

"Because I don't know anything about living in the wild, and I'm comfortable and happy with my Twolegs," Milo replied.

"How can anyone be happy with Twolegs!?" Squirrelpaw exclaimed.

"Well, Twolegs can be nice," Milo meowed.

"Yeah, right!" Squirrelpaw snorted.

"So you live in the wild, with... clans?" Milo asked.

"Yeah! And it's amazing!" Squirrelpaw meowed. "I have no idea how you can live like that when the clans are right outside your garden!"

"How many cats are there in the clans?" Milo asked.

"A lot, too many to count," Squirrelpaw meowed.

"Woah," Milo meowed.

"Yeah, I mean, it's not very surprising when you live your whole life surrounded by that many cats, but, you know," Squirrelpaw meowed.