Seventy Eight

-𝓣𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓕𝓪𝓽𝓮-

"Life?" Aanya echoed, the word hanging in the air like a question mark. The vulnerability of her earlier outburst seemed to recede, replaced by a numb disbelief. She looked at Kanha, searching his face for a flicker of amusement, a hint that he was toying with her in this moment of utter despair.

Kanha, however, held her gaze with a quiet intensity. There was no amusement in his warm eyes, only a deep well of empathy and a hint of something else, a hesitant hope. He reached out, placing a gentle hand on her hair, the touch surprisingly grounding.

A single tear escaped her eye, tracing a shimmering path down her pale cheek. Her gaze dropped to her stomach, a previously unnoticed part of her body now a point of intense focus. The revelation echoed in the vast emptiness within her, a tiny spark flickering amidst the ashes of her grief. 

A whisper, barely audible even to her own ears, escaped her lips. "No," she breathed, the word a denial that reverberated through the opulent chamber. "Not without him." The weight of her love for Arjun settled on her chest, a heavy counterpoint to the burgeoning life within.

Kanha kept his hand on her hair, a silent anchor in the storm of emotions that threatened to engulf her. Aanya continued to shake her head, a desperate denial that spoke volumes.  She wasn't ready. The idea of another life, a life without Arjun by her side, felt like an unbearable betrayal. It was a decision that demanded a strength she wasn't sure she possessed, a strength that lay dormant, buried under the weight of her grief.

"No, I can't," Aanya rasped, the word a harsh negation that echoed in the opulent chamber. Denial clung to her like a shroud, a desperate attempt to shield herself from the unexpected news. With a trembling hand, she pushed back the covers, the cool sheets a stark contrast to the turmoil within. 

Her bare feet touched the cold marble floor, sending a jolt through her already weakened body. It was a small act of defiance, a step towards reclaiming control of a life that felt like it was spiraling out of control. 

Just then, the heavy chamber doors creaked open, revealing Draupadi, her face etched with concern. An attendant followed close behind, carrying a tray laden with a tempting array of dishes. 

Draupadi's eyes widened as they fell on Aanya, standing precariously on the cold floor. "Govinda," she breathed, her voice laced with concern, her gaze flickering to Kanha, who stood beside the bed, a silent observer in the unfolding drama. 

The weight of their gazes, filled with worry and unspoken questions, threatened to pull Aanya under. She swayed slightly, the world blurring at the edges. Aanya closed her eyes, taking a shaky breath.

Sensing Aanya's distress, Draupadi hurried forward, her arms outstretched in a gesture of comfort. "Aanya," she called softly, her voice thick with concern. "Come here, let me help you."

But Aanya flinched back, shaking her head with a vehemence that surprised even her. A fresh wave of tears welled up, blurring her vision.

"No, Draupadi," she choked out, her voice barely a whisper. "I can't… not without him." The words tumbled out, raw and laced with despair. He was a part of her, a missing piece that made this new life feel incomplete, an unbearable burden.

"Call me weak," Aanya whispered, her voice cracking, "or selfish, but I'm not strong enough to handle this alone." Shame burned in her throat, a bitter counterpoint to the grief that threatened to consume her. "How can I take on this responsibility," she continued, her hand reaching out in a gesture that was both pleading and accusatory, "when the other half of my heart is missing?"