Thirty

Merry Christmas!

-𝓕𝓲𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓔𝔁𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓼-

A loud crashing sound echoed in the corridor, Aanya instinctively covered her mouth, eyes widening in surprise at the sight of Duryodhan, now covered in kheer. Aanya's heart raced as she gulped nervously under Duryodhan's piercing glare.

"Sorry, it was an accident," she managed to say, her brows furrowed in regret.

"Of course, every accident seems to involve you," he retorted with a cold glare, his tone dripping with irritation.

"I already said sorry," Aanya insisted, her voice tinged with annoyance.

"If only you had been paying attention instead of daydreaming, none of this would have happened," Duryodhan remarked sharply, his eyes still fixed accusingly on Aanya.

"And if you were watching where you were going, why did you collide with me?" Aanya countered, her eyes narrowing with a hint of defiance.

"So now you're blaming me for this?" Duryodhan scoffed disbelievingly.

"Yes, if it was my fault, then it was your fault too," she argued, determination flickering in her eyes.

"Who do you think you are to speak to me like that?" Duryodhan snapped, his frustration evident in his voice.

"Well, you seem to have a problem with forgetfulness as well as not watching where you're going," Aanya shot back, casually flipping her hair with a hint of attitude.

"You're unbelievable," he muttered before storming off, leaving Aanya with a sense of triumph.

"Aanya - 1, Duryodhan - 0," she quietly celebrated to herself with a proud grin. "Akdu kahi ka."

Her triumphant moment was brief as she made her way to the hall where everyone was eagerly waiting for the dinner. As she entered, Subhadra, noticing her empty hands, inquired, "You went to bring something?"

A tinge of sadness colored Aanya's reply as she said, "Yes."

Subhadra's curiosity was piqued. "Where is it then?"

A somber expression settled on Aanya's face as she answered, "On the floor in the corridor."

Perplexed, Subhadra questioned, "What happened?"

With a touch of regret, Aanya admitted, "I bumped into Duryodhan, and it fell on him."

Subhadra closed her eyes and sighed, gently shaking her head. "I told you to take help from someone," she said, expressing concern.

"I know, sorry," Aanya replied, owning up to her mistake.

Assuringly, Subhadra blinked her eyes, offering comfort.

As Duryodhan entered the room, his glare met Aanya's, reciprocated with equal intensity. Aanya couldn't resist muttering to herself, "Kheer nhi, kheer ka bartan girna chahiye tha," causing Subhadra to gently elbow her to stay quiet.

"Why is he even here?" Aanya grumbled under her breath.

"Don't say that, Aanya. He's our guest," Subhadra reminded her with a touch of patience.

"You're so uptight, Subhadra," Aanya muttered.

"I'm just trying to keep the peace here," Subhadra replied with a smile.

"Fine, I'll behave," Aanya said with a huff.

During the course of dinner, Kanha turned to Duryodhan, "What brings you to Dwarka, Bhrata Duryodhan?"