Sixty

-𝓤𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓪𝓴 𝓸𝓯 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓼-

Aanya stamped her foot, a pout blossoming on her face. "No, no, no! I can't just go back, Dau! Why can't you understand?" she argued, her voice laced with exasperation. "At least give me a little time!"

Her eyes held a hint of sadness. The idea of returning to the palace was unbearable side. Besides, a life of luxury held no charm without Arjun. But revealing her true feelings to Balaram was out of the question. He looked like a thundercloud when angry, despite the undeniable love that shone in his eyes whenever he looked at her.

Kanha sighed. "Aanya," he said, his voice dripping with mock despair, "you're being stubborn! Don't you make things difficult for poor Dau, huh?" A playful glint flickered in his eyes, a silent promise that he understood her plight.

Aanya shot him a glare. "Don't even think about taking his side, Kanha! You wouldn't understand!" she declared, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper.

Kanha chuckled, raising his hands in mock surrender. "Alright, alright. Your secret's safe with me. But, Dau just wants what's best for you."

Aanya's eyes softened into a thoughtful frown. Maybe Kanha was right. Balaram, despite his gruff exterior, always had her best interests at heart. But the thought of leaving Arjun behind was a bitter pill to swallow. She chewed on her lower lip, her brow furrowed in contemplation. This whole situation was turning out to be quite the predicament!

A stubborn streak, as wide as the Ganges itself, ran through Aanya. No amount of arguing or exasperated sighs from Kanha would budge her. With a determined set to her jaw, she shook her head, the fiery defiance in her eyes mirroring the setting sun. "Dau, I appreciate your concern, " she began, her voice softening slightly, "but I can't go back to Dwarka just yet."

Balaram who could usually out-stare a bull into submission, seemed to deflate at the sight. He pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a sigh. "Alright, Aanya," he conceded, his voice rough with exasperation. "But you can't wander around unprotected. There will be soldiers from Dwarka accompanying you wherever you go."

Aanya's eyes widened in horror. "Soldiers? Dau, that's ridiculous! It's not like I'm some delicate flower who needs a battalion trailing behind her!" she exclaimed, puffing out her chest in a display of offense. "Besides, I have Kanha with me, aren't I?"

A smug smile played on Kanha's lips, but it vanished as quickly as it appeared under the withering glare Balaram shot his way. Aanya, oblivious to the silent exchange between the brothers, seemed to shrink under Balaram's gaze, her bravado fading faster than a summer cloud. Clapping her hand over her mouth, she realized she might have pushed things a tad too far.

The playful glint in Aanya's eyes was replaced by a sheepish grin as she recognized the truth in Balaram's words. Soldiers for protection, while unnecessary in her opinion, were simply the way of things. With a resigned sigh, she mumbled, "Fine, Dau. You win. Soldiers it is. But they have to promise to be discreet. No following me around like lovesick puppies, ruining all the fun!"

Balaram, relieved to avoid further debate, cracked a smile, the first one Aanya had seen all day. "Of course, discretion is their middle name," he teased, ruffling her hair affectionately. Aanya swatted his hand away, a triumphant grin lighting up her face.

"You seem awfully cheerful, Aanya," Kanha remarked, his voice laced with a knowing amusement.

"Do I?" Aanya feigned innocence, a playful glint back in her eyes.

"What happened, Aanya?" Balaram inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"Nothing, Dau," Aanya replied with a wink, turning to shoot a glare at Kanha. Just then, a grimace contorted her face as her gaze fell upon her blood-stained clothes. "Ugh," she muttered, "how on earth do people survive with this?" She made a face.