Forty

-𝓖𝓻𝓮𝓮𝓷 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓔𝓷𝓿𝔂-

"Are you hoping to catch a glimpse of Bhratashri Arjun?" Nakul teased Aanya, with a mischievous twinkle in his eye as he noticed her relentless focus on the door while they were engrossed in a board game. Aanya's attention seemed magnetically drawn to the door, for it had been two days since she last encountered Arjun. His time was monopolized by the imminent arrival of Jayadrath in Hastinapur, and the grand celebration scheduled for tomorrow within the palace.

Aanya quickly averted her gaze, rebuffing the accusation. "No, why would I?" she nonchalantly shrugged, redirecting her focus back to the game.

Nakul leaned in to whisper, "Don't hold your breath. He's not making an appearance today either."

In a split second, Aanya whipped her head towards Nakul and demanded, "Why not?" For a moment, Nakul thought she might have dislocated her neck.

Raising an eyebrow, Nakul quizzically asked, "Why are you so eager to know?" a grin playing on his lips.

Aanya stumbled over her words before replying, "Just curious, that's all."

Nakul chuckled, smirking at her response. "Uh-huh, just curious about Bhratashri Arjun, are you?" he teased, clearly poking fun at her.

Rolling her eyes, Aanya swatted at him. "Oh, shut up," she retorted, trying to conceal the blush creeping onto her cheeks.

Nakul laughed, relishing her reaction. "Don't worry, I won't spill the beans about your little infatuation with Bhrata Arjun," he joked, earning another hit from Aanya.

"What? No, I don't like him!" Aanya declared, attempting to mask the blush on her cheeks.

Nakul raised an eyebrow, continuing to tease her. "Sure, sure, I believe you," he said, dripping with sarcasm. "As if I don't notice anything."

"Yes, you 'don't' notice anything. Enough now," Aanya said, diverting her attention back to the game.

"Do you want me to inform Jyestha? He can have a chat with Vasudev," he teased her.

Aanya tossed the dice at his head, "Quit it."

Nakul chuckled, "Look, Bhratashri Arjun is coming here."

Aanya swiftly turned to glance at the door, shooting Nakul a glare as she realized he was simply teasing her.

"I don't like him," he imitated her.

"Where's your other half?" Aanya asked, playfully steering the conversation.

"Right here," Sahdev announced, breezing into the room and settling on the opposite side, giving her a light tap on the head.

"Ouch, that hurt. Where are your manners, Sahdev?" Aanya pretended to rebuke him while Nakul and Sahdev shared a laugh.

"I didn't hit you that hard," Sahdev defended himself, still grinning.

Aanya pouted, rubbing her head. "That's not the point. You could've injured my delicate head," she bantered, eliciting laughter from the twins.

Nakul shook his head, still smiling. "You're such a drama queen, Aanya," he teased, and Aanya stuck out her tongue at him.

"What's going on?" Sahdev quizzed with a grin.

"Aanya was eagerly awaiting Bhrata Arjun," Nakul chimed in, wiggling his eyebrows mischievously.

Aanya retaliated by hurling a cushion at Nakul's face, shooting him a fierce glare.

"Quit it, you troublemaker," Nakul teased.