Chapter 17

Archie

It was full moon night tonight. The blood moon was its peek and I was on the roof again, watching the view. After the talk Jason and I had earlier, I changed my mind again and now I wanted to attend the event. He said he was going to have me claim him in front of everyone as part of the ceremony and I wanted to do it. I couldn't wait to do it and make him mine. 

"Hey!" I heard Jason calling me from the balcony. "Are you coming?"

"I'm coming!" I quickly scurried off and jumped down to the balcony. This time Jason did catch me and held my legs around his waist. "Oh, thank you!"

"We don't want to be late and you walk very slowly."

"Haha, very funny!" I rolled my eyes at him only to earn a smile from him. It was rare to see him smile.

Jason really had a beautiful smile. We were really about to have sex in front of the whole pack and somehow Jason made this whole abnormal situation seem so normal. 

"Shall we?" 

I beamed. "Yes, we shall."

The entire pack was waiting for us at the bonfire. Everyone was gathered around it, sharing drinks, playing games and the scent of braaied was high in the air. This was not what I expected from the town's most ruthless pack of werewolves, which even the witches feared so much. Ever since I came here, they made me feel welcome and home. I couldn't deny that fact, as much as I wanted to challenge Jason in the beginning about staying here with him. 

"You're finally here!" Josh, Jason's bestfriend waved us over. He was standing with Mia and she was clinging to his arm. 

She released his arm when she saw me and then tore me away from Jason. "Hey, bestie!" I didn't miss him growling. "You look dazzling tonight!"

"Uh...thanks..." I smiled before I looked at myself. Did I really look that good? I was only wearing a white tuxedo and had my hair done too. Jason's mom was the one a put a flower in my hair. 

For some reason she had the impression that the two of us were getting married and I didn't blame her. I was literally dressed that way and so was Jason in his black tux. I didn't see her around apparently she couldn't attend the bonfire. Unfortunately crowded spaces made her feel uncomfortable. I did feel bad for her and wanted to get to know her better, but Jason told me to steer of her for a bit. Ever since my magic manifested, my scent started to change to. He was afraid the witchy parts of my scent would be triggering to her.

"You gotta try some of these roasted marshmallows!" Mia handed me a stick, stuffed into a marshmallow. "These are so gooooood!"

I grabbed one deciding to try it out. "Wow, I never had these before!"

"You didn't?" Jason asked me.

My elbow did connect with a wall and when I looked back, Jason's looming figure was right behind me. I didn't even notice he was standing so close. Talk about being territorial. 

He had a frown as he was awaiting my answer. "Nope...Not like I ever went out camping while I was at the orphanage."

"Damn..." Josh commented.

I looked between him and Jason, then at Mia. "Am I missing something."

"Hey guys!" Someone yelled our way.

All four of us turned to look and saw Madelyn, the gamma's mate waving at us. Following behind her was the gamma Reuben himself and the pack's other beta first in command, Justin. I met Reuben and Madelyn, but never really met Justin. He's always been busy with pack business whenever I saw him. Even like now, he was standing and waiting for Jason to walk to him, before they began to have some serious conversation. I couldn't hear what they were saying as Jason was doing that thing where he made his voice only hearable by the one person he wanted to have listening to him.

"So I heard that you're claiming the alpha tonight!" Madelyn mentioned.

Something like that came out of nowhere for me and they were all four looking at me now. Flustered, I looked away. "Kinda...he wanted it to happen there...as part of the ceremony."

Reuben pulled Madelyn to his hip, cocking his eyebrows at me. "I'm looking forward to this. Never thought I'd see the day coming. Someone has finally tamed the big bad alpha!"

"I just hope those witches stay away and don't mess this up for us!" Madelyn added.

At the mention of witches, a shiver ran down my spine. Early today, something weird happened and now that I was thinking about it, I haven't told Jason yet. He was still talking with Jason and now didn't seem like the right time to tell him.

"Guys...I'll be right back. I just need to use the bathroom!" I said, excusing myself. 

"Okay, bestie." Mia beamed. 

I turned on my heels and walked back to the house. As I looked up, I saw Jason's mom standing behind one of the windows looking at me. She looked at me with wide eyes before slamming her hands against the window as if she was trying to tell me something. She pointed behind me and then I quickly turned around to look. I was looking at the giant sized fire.

It was swirling and everyone soon looked in that direction. The flames were dancing very chaotically and changing from yellow to purple and then blue. I hole then opened, like a portal. All I saw was flames swirling inside it, till the same black cloaked figures I saw that day came out and all pointing their fingers at me. 

Next a giant sphere of fire danced in the air and flew right towards the window above me. Without even thinking twice, I jumped into the air using my body as a shield to protect my mate's mother from the flames. All I saw was blue fire, but the flames never reached me.

"We're under attack! The witches are here!"