The Siege

"All right, let's try this again

"All right, let's try this again. "Mando sighed. "Okay, did he dose he have the wire?" Mando turned back in his chair to look at us.

I was looking inside of the small compartment where the Child sat. I held my thumb up.

"No. Nothing." Mando sighed after pressing some buttons.

He walked over and crouched down next to me, looking in at the Child. " Hey... Okay. Did you get the wire out? The Red Wire."

The Child held up the blue wire.

"No, no, no. No, the red one. Show me the red wire. The red one."

The Child Coos and hold up the red wire.

"Yes, good. Now, you're going to plug that red wire where the blue wire goes in the board."

The Child looked between the two wires then back at Mando.

"Put the red wire where the blue wire goes in the board, okay?" I repeated for him.

"But don't let them touch."

He coos again and looks at the wires.

"He doesn't understand." I sighed.

"He will." Mando told me before turning back to the Child. "You see where you took the blue one off? Yes, now put the red one...

The Child put the blue one back in the board.

"No, don't put the blue one back." I groaned, leaning back.

"Put the red one where the blue one was. And put the blue one where the red one was." Mando repeated, again.

"But be careful. They're oppositely charged, so keep them away from each other. Make sure you hold them apart from...No, hold them apart."

The Child put them together and they shocked him, sending smoke out of the hole. I gasped and looked back inside.

"Are you okay?" Mando sighs.

The Child coughed from the smoke.

Mando sighs again. "Well, it was worth a shot."

~🌗~

I sipped my broth Mando had made. I sat next to the Child on a crate while Mando sat on his own, next to ours.