The Heiress

I woke to a beeping going off, so did everyone else

I woke to a beeping going off, so did everyone else. I rubbed my eyes and looked down at the Child in my lap. He looked up at me and gurgled. I smiled and looked back up at the window to spot a blue planet in front of us.

"Looks like we made it. Get ready for landing." Mando told us.

Mando hit one of the consuls."Dank farrik! The landing array isn't responding."

"And what does that mean?" I asked, worriedly.

"Without the guidance system, it'll be a manual re-entry. It might get choppy. Once we're through the atmosphere, there should be enough fuel to slow down."

"If we don't burn to a crisp." He mumbled.

I sighed. "Great."

As Mando started entering the atmosphere the outside of the ship caught fire. My eyes widened as I watched the terrifying yet beautiful sight outside.

"Come up here. I need your hands! Mara keep ahold of the Child!"

The Frog Lady set her eggs down and came over to Mando.

"This lever needs to stay back. Can you do that?"

She grunts in agreement and grabs ahold of the lever. She glances back at her eggs as the ship shakes.

"I got them." I tell her.

"Keep it steady. Here we go."

"Razor Crest, this is Trask flight control." Someone said over the coms. "Please reduce your speed to port protocol."

"I'm trying my best here. Engage reverse thrusters. Brace!"

I hold onto the child and eggs with my good arm.

"Hold on."

"What do you think I'm doing!" I yelled at him as the ground got closer.

"Razor Crest, do you copy? You have to reduce speed."

"Almost there, almost there." I couldn't tell if he was reassuring us or himself.

"Razor Crest, do you copy? Razor Crest, you're coming in too fast. You have to re-" Mando shut off the com.

He started to land the ship as we got closer. "Here we go. Nice and easy."

Then suddenly one of the engines explodes sending us falling into the sea. We sink lower and lower.

"Mando!" I yell, freaking out.

"Calm down, verd'ika." He says just as a crane attaches to the outside of the ship, lifting us out of the water.

It sets us down on the landing port and I sigh in relief and sink into my chair.

"Can we have one day where we don't almost die?" I say exasperated.