hair clips

word count: 1216

-

five-year-old goh came running back home, crying with messy hair and a dirty uniform. this caught the attention of his mother, camille, who rushed to her son's side.

"goh! arceus, what happened to you?" camille gasped in worry as she cupped goh's cheeks to check for bruises, wiping away the tears streaming down his face. goh continued crying as he showed his mother the hair clips she had gifted him on his birthday, his voice shaky as he responded to camille's question.

"m-my classmates said i-i was copying c-chloe by w-wearing a hair clip," goh hiccuped. "a-and they said that hair clips aren't f-for boys, so t-they grabbed them from my h-hair, broke them, and then pushed me down on the ground before starting to kick me!"

goh cried loudly as he broke down in his mother's arms. camille's heart ached from what goh had experienced at school, and she comforted her son as she gently rubbed his back.

"is this what parents teach their kids?" walker, goh's father, sighed in frustration as he approached his son with a new set of clothes. he kneeled down and gently pulled goh close to him.

"goh, listen to me," walker whispered as he gently fixed goh's hair. "there's no such thing as 'hair clips aren't for boys.' do you know the gender of a hair clip, goh?"

goh shook his head in response, sniffing softly.

walker chuckled and nodded. "exactly. hair clips are just like clothes as well; they're not specified for a certain gender. everyone can wear anything as long as they feel comfortable and confident in, whether they're traditionally considered for "man" or "woman."

and lastly, there's nothing wrong with being yourself." goh's father wiped away the remaining tears from his cheeks before standing up.

"you're a brave boy, goh. i'm very proud of you." goh's quivering lips curved into a wide smile as he hugged both of his parents in return.

-

goh had always kept his father's words in mind. however, a fear grew inside him that the things he experienced as a little boy might happen again. so, he stopped using hair clips and anything else that might look 'unsuitable' for a boy. everyone's mindsets weren't the same as his parents', as he realized while growing up.

on another day in alola, ash, goh, and the rest of the group were in the largest shopping mall on melemele island. they were heading to alola sunrise, a popular shop that sold accessories made from natural materials such as heart scales and corsola branches. as usual, kiawe, sophocles, and rotom made excuses to avoid going, but the girls made sure they wouldn't escape this time.

goh blinked as he looked at his boyfriend, who sweatdropped at the continuous excuses of the three. "what's wrong with alola sunrise? i don't see anything wrong about it; it looks pretty decent."

ash rubbed the back of his neck as he shrugged. "well, you see, they-"

"if you guys don't want to, then fine! but wait here. ash, goh, let's go!" the couple was quickly dragged into the shop by lana and mallow, with lillie following behind, leaving ash unable to answer goh's question.

and the rest of the group watched as the two were dragged away.

as they finally arrived inside, goh's eyes immediately lit up at the sight of the accessories. he quickly walked around, gaping in awe. "wow! so many accessories, and they're all so pretty!" goh squealed.

goh quickly realized how excited he was and covered his mouth, cheeks turning red with embarrassment. "i-i'm sorry."

mallow patted goh's shoulders as she giggled. "it's fine, it's fine! it's a good thing we brought you along. how about we explore the different spots here inside? i'm sure you'll love the other ones!" lana and lillie nodded, encouraging goh to let them help him.

goh glanced at ash, who gave him a thumbs-up of approval, with pikachu on his shoulder. "go ahead! enjoy yourself in here," ash said with a reassuring smile.

goh's eyes lit up, and he smiled widely, nodding quickly at the girls' offers as they started strolling around the shop, with ash and his pokémon following behind.

as the girls were busy helping goh, ash's eyes caught a pair of red hair clips in the section of hair accessories. he took them and was amazed by their quality. they looked very simple, but ash could tell they were made from a certain gemstone.

"what do you think about these, buddy?" pikachu stared at the hair clips for a long time before smiling at ash.

"pikaa-chu!" pikachu nodded, indicating that he liked the item. ash grinned at the response and immediately paid for the item at the counter before going back to his boyfriend.

"goh!" he turned around to face ash, holding a few accessories that he was interested in. ash took the pair of hair clips and placed them in goh's hair, smiling at his boyfriend, knowing it was the right decision to buy him some hair clips.

goh's eyes widened, and his cheeks quickly turned red as lana, lillie, and mallow bombarded him with compliments, saying that the hair clips suited him very well. goh suddenly felt very shy, then he quickly asked ash a question. "b-but, why, ash? aren't you weirded out by a boy wearing something like hair clips?"

ash tilted his head, his lips forming a wide grin as he adjusted his cap. "no, of course not! i think it's perfectly fine for a boy to wear accessories if that's what makes them happy," ash replied, making goh's heart flutter.

"and i just knew that hair clips would definitely look great on you. and i was right! do you like them?" ash handed goh a mirror from the side so he could see for himself.

goh's eyes widened, and he turned his head slightly from left to right, feeling his cheeks redden even more as the hair clips actually suited him. it also reminded him of the hair clips that his mother had gifted him way back then. goh felt very happy as he quickly hugged ash tightly. "thank you very much, ash!"

ash's cheeks flushed red as well as he returned the hug. pikachu crawled onto goh's shoulders and patted the hair clips, as if saying that they looked beautiful on goh.

"even pikachu agrees with ash!" lillie said with a smile. mallow then took the items from goh's hand and placed them on the counter. "let's pay for them so we can try the rest on you as well!"

ash and goh quickly nodded in agreement, paying for the remaining items before leaving the shop. as they exited, the others complimented goh on the hair clips he was wearing, and rotom made sure to take photos of goh wearing different types of hair clips. this was enough to make goh shy even more, but he was very glad that they didn't mind the things he liked at all. instead, they supported and respected him for it.

and as they arrived home, it was ash's turn to bombard his own boyfriend with compliments and kisses. (ash might be called crazy because he's very excessive with complimenting goh.)

++

oh to have parents and group of friends like goh's